Chief Architect Lite - Features
Chief Architect Lite
Cross Sections & Elevations
- Cross Sections, Back-Clipped Cross Sections & ElevationsUse the orthographic camera to create an elevation or cross section view. Back-Clipped Cross Section views control the cut distance generated for a cross section.
- Back-Clip Cross Section Distance ControlControl the cut distance of Back-Clipped Cross Sections with an input value in the dialog
- Clip Cross-Section Views at SidesTurn on clipping for sides of cross-sections views
- Dimension, Annotate and Detail Cross Sections & Elevation ViewsUse the text, arrow, dimension, and CAD tools to add complete details to your Cross Section and Elevation views. Select and edit, delete, resize, or move objects. Add notes and dimensions or insert CAD details.
- Show Cameras as CalloutsEasily set up view callouts directly from the camera object. Show Elevation, Section, and Cross-Section cameras as Callouts in Plan Views. Add callout labels and descriptions; callout remain when sent to layout
- Opening Indicators – Doors, Windows & CabinetsShow or hide opening indicators for hinge side of doors, windows and cabinet using Layers in Elevation, Cross Section, and Plan views.
Plans & Layouts
- Layout tool – for construction documentsLayout sheets are used to organize plans, elevations, CAD details, schedules, site plans, and other items for construction documents. The drawings can be scaled and printed at any size. All views are dynamically linked to the original model reflecting any update you make. Reorder the Layout pages for construction documents. Create templates for Layouts with borders and title blocks.
- Set up multiple Pages per Layout File
* 200 Pages
- Advanced Layout EditingEdit line views sent to the layout, rescale views sent to layout, re-link views on the layout to reference different files.
- Enhanced “Send to Layout” and “CAD Detail From View”Experience faster response times and improved line generation
* Excludes CAD Details
- Library / Catalog BrowserChoose from thousands of items. Download new content from Chief Architect or from third party sources. The Library includes generic and manufacturer brands.
* Excludes Manufacturer Catalogs
- Design Structures with multiple FloorsExcludes attic and basement or foundation.
* 10 Floors
- Unlimited number of Opened FilesReference as many plans or views during a single session. Limited to your computer’s resources.
- Plan TemplatesChoose pre-defined Plan Templates or create your own.
- Time Tracker™ toolMeasure working time per project, per client, or per task. Start and stop the Time Tracker. View, edit, and export a time log, and add notes for each project.
- Plan Database toolCreate a plan database to organizing your plan portfolio.
- Plan Check toolProvides a review for basic room egress, roof, wall layout, and more.
- Rotate & Flip Plan toolsFlip or create a mirror image. Rotate the orientation of the floor plan view on your screen.
- Insert & Exchange FloorsUse the Floor Above/Below tool to insert and exchange floors. Insert new Floors or levels between existing floors.
- House Wizard™Drag-and-drop room bubbles and arrange them before converting them to walls. Provides a quick way to lay out rooms that adjoin the project to illustrate how the completed project would look.
- Model Maker™Print designs that can be assembled into 3D Models
- Loan Calculator toolCalculate mortgage payments.
- Chief Architect Viewer file compatibilityShare your Chief Architect design files with clients using the free Chief Architect Viewer software
- Room Defaults – ceiling height, style, moldings, wall covering, floor materialsControl the initial behavior by specifying default values. Define room attributes by room type.
- Specify when a room is calculated in the Living AreaFor example, specify the garage or attic to be included or excluded in the living area calculation.
- Name individual RoomsName individual rooms from a defined list of types or create new names. Custom Room Label controls - assign room types as well as custom room labels. Rooms display dimensions with interior area measurements. Multiple Room Select to group edit the Room attributes.
- Custom Room Label controlsAssign room types as well as custom room labels.
- Control over new Room specifications when additional floors are addedUse the Floor Defaults dialog to set up a new floor’s attributes.
- Display any combination of Room Label Size LayersDisplay the Dimensional Size and the Square Footage labels for a room at one time.
- Automatic Room ConnectionsIsland rooms (rooms within rooms) automatically connect to outer rooms via an invisible wall to ensure proper room definitions
- Accurately Layered Floor & Ceiling Platforms3D model includes Finished Floor and Finished Ceiling heights. Use these layers to add dimension details and define cabinet and stair elevations.
- Define floor coverings, finishes, and sub-layers
- Raised Floor PlatformsSpecify raised floor platforms that are automatically framed
- Molding display control by RoomSpecify height, width, and orientation of moldings from floor or ceiling. Control the display of moldings in any room type.
- Room Molding Polyline & 3D Molding Polylines toolAutomatically generate a molding polyline derived from the room's perimeter. Reshape the polyline as desired and attach multiple molding profiles. Designate sizes for each profile and specify its height off the floor. 3D Molding Polylines create horizontal and vertical moldings.
* Excludes 3D Molding Polylines
- Room PolylineAutomatically generate a polyline derived from the room's perimeter. Use the polyline tools to generate a Materials List, view the area, or convert to a molding, slab, and other custom options.
- Wall toolsWall Styles include interior, exterior, railing, pony, half wall, curved, angled, raked, stepped. All styles are customizable with unique layers. Wall Types include structural wood, stucco steel, concrete ICF, SIPS, glass block, railings.
- Draw and edit Walls in 2D and 3D
- Create custom Wall styles with multiple layersAll the Wall layers calculate into the Materials List.
- Curved Wall controls for radius, center, and ends
- Half-Wall toolDraw half walls and specify their default values (also known as solid railings).
- Solid Railing & Half-Wall material optionsInclude wall assembly layers and control them just as you would a standard wall.
- Shoe Control for RailingsControl the height off of floor for the bottom rail (shoe) for Railings and Ramp Railings.
- Control Railing Beam MaterialsSet the material assigned to beams above railings separately from other railing components.
- Improved railings clip to ceiling surfaceRailings that intersect roofs and ceilings are automatically clipped to fit the slope.
- Pony WallsFor a two section Wall, define materials for each section. Control window and door display, dimensions, alignment between floors.
- Pony Wall height controlsAdjust the height of individual Pony Walls by typing the lower wall’s height into the dialog
- Double Walls for marriage walls and multi-family unitsIncludes window and door control.
- Thru-Wall controlsSpecify wall intersections / framing on a per wall end basis using the new Thru-Wall attribute
- Improved Wall Connections for more accurate plan view representations of wall intersectionsTurn ON or OFF Thru-Wall connection display in plan view.
- Create Raked & Stepped WallsControl heights of walls, add breaks and adjust in Cross Section and Elevation views. Define stepped foundations with vertical footing control.
- Wall Align toolAlign walls on another floor (individually or group selected). Toggle the floor reference to see through to the floor above or below.
- Align wall layers with foundationUse the wall setting "Foundation to this Line" to specify the alignment of walls with foundations walls.
- Steel Framing with C-Channels & U-ChannelsSpecify steel framing members and show them in 3D Framing views.
- Set up designs for RemodelingPlace New, Existing, Demolition and Remodeling Walls on unique layers
- Enhanced Wall EditingAdjust wall lengths by selecting dimensions or temporary dimensions that run parallel to the wall.
- Invisible Wall DefaultsInvisible Walls are typically used for room definition when a regular wall is not appropriate. Define the default attributes.
- Terrain WallsTerrain Walls follow terrain contours.
- Wall Corner Boards & QuoinsPlace Corner Boards and Quoins at wall interscetion corners. Set default size and material attributes.
- Auto Place and Delete Corner Boards and QuoinsAutomatically add trim details to wall corners. Option to delete all corner boards and quoins on a per floor or per plan basis through the Delete Objects dialog
- Cabinet Designer™ toolsCreate any style of Cabinet using the Smart Parametric tools including Framed, Frameless, Curved, Angled and Bow. Adjust drawers, face frames, doors, styles, shapes, shelves, moldings, backsplashes, appliances, countertops and several other items. Use a specification dialog to define and customize your Cabinets.
- Manufacturer Catalogs & Smart Parametric CabinetsCabinet catalogs include door and drawer styles, colors, wood species, and accessories.
- Define Cabinet defaultsControl the initial behavior by specifying default values - define, colors, sizes, doors and drawer styles, moldings, materials, countertops, hardware, and several other attributes for the cabinets as you begin a new design.
- National Kitchen & Bath Association (NKBA) StandardizedCabinet display options conform to NKBA standards including countertops, line styles, labels and more. NKBA approved software for professional certification testing.
* Not Approved for Testing
- Place Multiple Appliances in a cabinetAdd an oven and a warming drawer to the same cabinet; adjust or replace the appliance type by editing it in the Cabinet Specification dialog.
- Multiple Door and Drawer styles per cabinetAssign different door or drawer styles to a single cabinet; wall cabinets with glass doors on top; base drawer bases with slab and panel drawers.
- Display Countertop lines in Plan View and control the display with a Layer
- Custom Countertop tool creates countertops of any shape or sizeDraw and edit countertops manually. Add countertop holes, edge profiles, adjust the thickness and height off the floor.
- Convert Automatic Countertops to Custom CountertopsChange the automatically generated countertop to a custom countertop that can be edited and resized independently from the cabinet.
- Countertop Edge MoldingControl the display of edge molding applied to custom countertops
- Rounded Cabinet CornersSpecify rounded or chamfered corners on a cabinet box.
- Rounded Countertop Corners for Automatic Countertops
- Cabinet MoldingsAdd crown moldings, light rails, dentil and rope molding details to Cabinets
- Cabinet Millwork & End PanelsPilasters, feet, legs, and moldings. All resize automatically as the cabinet changes. Attach End Panels to the sides and back of cabinets. Panels can be set to be automatically generated when an end or back is exposed, or they can be manually turned on or off. Control materials by specifying finished, unfinished, or automatic sides. The automatic feature can determine if the cabinet is exposed or against another cabinet.
* Excludes End Panels
- Cabinet FillersCreate cabinet fillers automatically between cabinets, or add them manually.
* Excludes Manual Fillers
- Frameless Cabinet settingsChange the cabinet style in one click with the new Frameless and Full Overlay options for cabinets.
- Define Cabinets to sub-floor or finish floor heightDefine elevation for cabinets, furniture, fixtures and stairs relative to finished floor or sub-floor.
* Finish Floor Only
- Place Cabinet Doors, Drawers, and End Panels on Cabinets or as stand-alone objects
- Double False Drawer item typeShow double-false drawers for sink base cabinets
- Improved Corner Cabinet HardwareSingle knob hardware for pie-cut corner cabinets.
- Regular & Sloped SoffitsGenerate sloped soffits that automatically match roof or ceiling pitch, or manually adjust slope. Control the initial behavior by specifying default values.
Doors & Windows
- Custom Door & Window toolsCreate any style of Door, Doorway, and Window including Arched, Shaped and Mulled. Use the Smart Parametric tools. Doors styles include interior, exterior, sliding, pocket, bi-fold, atrium, double-swing, and garage. Hardware Library - Hinges, Handles and Locks. Windows styles include interior, exterior, single/double hung, sliding, casement, corner, recessed, bay, and box
- Manufacturer Catalogs and Smart Parametric Doors & WindowsCatalog Doors have interior and exterior material settings. Define colors and wood species.
* Parametric Items Only
- Door Defaults by Door TypeSet unique door defaults for different types of doors: hinged, pocket, bifold, sliding, and garage.
- Pass-Thru toolCreate an opening between two rooms.
- Atrium Door optionsCreate Center Swing Double-Doors, also known as atrium patio doors. Define a variety of other ways to open the doors
- Adjustable Louver SizesNew louver attribute allows you to control their size in windows and doors.
- Improved representation of doors recessed into masonry walls
- Mulled Units, save customized Doors & Windows to the LibraryCreate custom Mulled door and window blocks. Move, dimension, and label them as single units and add them to the Library. Mulled Units that contain Doors are automatically recognized as Door objects for Schedules and Schedule Labels.
- Visual Door Placement feedbackVisualize door placement prior to actually placing the door with intuitive control of the hinge and swing.
- 3D Door Display optionsNew edit tools “Show Door Open in 3D” and “Show Door Closed in 3D” make it fast and easy to control the state of doors in 3D views.
- Adjust the Hinge/Swing Amount for Bi-fold doors.
- Double Walls/Window/Door Control for marriage walls and multi-family units
- Window and Door Casings Display in Plan ViewDisplay or hide interior and exterior casings using the “Casings, Interior” and “Casings, Exterior” layers
- Improved Window Display in Plan ViewMore accurate display of window sill, frame size, and mullions in Plan view. Better representation of multi-pane windows in Plan view.
- Automatic Frame DepthSet window frame depth to automatically fit into wall.
- Unlimited Divided Lites for glassCreate Windows and Glass Doors with an unlimited number of lites.
- Custom MuntinsDesign your own muntins using the CAD tools and attach them to windows.
- Window Treatments & ShuttersAdjust curtains by the height off floor and height above casing. Specify shutters on either side of a window. Blinds fit inside casing when attached to Windows.
- Door & Window CapitalsPlace capitals above Window or Door casing and set the height and width.
- Sills & LintelsSpecify sills for windows and set the height and width. Lintels - control window and door trim sizes.
- Lintel and Sill ControlSeparately display Lintels or Sills for windows.
- Bay or Bow Windows Multiple SelectSelect then edit a group of bay, box or bow windows.
- Improved smoothing of arched Windows, Doors, and Doorways
Roofs & Ceilings
- Build Roof options - pitch, overhang, raise of plate for energy heels, curved roof information, framing details, fascias, gutters, exposed rafters and roof returns and many other optionsSpecify pitch, overhang, raise of plate for energy heels, curved roof information, framing details, fascias, gutters, exposed rafters and roof returns and many other options Includes roof and ceiling framing and trusses. See the Framing section for details.
- Build Automatic Roofs - gable, hip, shed, gambrel, mansard, and several othersGenerate the roof for any design automatically. Use the Auto-Rebuild Roofs feature to automatically update the roof as your design changes.
- Roof Layer controls - specify the thickness of roof components
- Draw and edit roofs in 2D and 3DDesign the roof in a split screen with both the 2D and 3D views up at the same time to visualize the design.
- Custom Roof & Ceiling toolsDraw Roof and Ceiling planes and shape and edit them to produce any custom style.
- Convert Flat Roofs & Ceilings t CurvedSpecify any roof or ceiling plane as curved in its specification dialog. Set angles and radius for plane
- Actual and Projected Area of Roof PlanesFind macros and references to both the Actual and the Projected square footage of Roof Planes in the roof dialog’s Polyline tab
- Control Rafter Spacing per Roof PlaneSpecify rafter spacing values for individual roof planes in a design.
- Gable & Hip Roof Toggle toolToggle the roof between these two styles using the Gable / Hip tool in 3D and 2D.
- Define Roof attributes per wall including multiple Roof Pitches & Overhangs
- Ridge CapsAutomatically generate Ridge Caps on roofs; turn ridge caps on/off on a per roof basis; assign custom ridge cap profiles.
* Non-Editable Ridge Caps
- Fascia & Sub Fascia controlControl the size and display of fascia boards.
- Gutters & Frieze MoldingsCreate custom profiles for gutters and friezes. Attach them to roofs so that they update and resize as the roof design changes.
* Excludes Frieze
- Auto Roof Returns™ for Gable WallsGable, Hip, Full, Sloping and Flat.
- Roof Gable Line toolDraw a line over a door or window and the program will automatically generate Gable roof.
- Auto Dormer™ toolGenerate floating (false) and structural dormers automatically. Set the dormer size, roof pitch, and accurately place them on a roof. Dormers types – eyebrow, gable, hip, shed, gambrel, mansard, barrel, and hip curved
- Dormer Overhang ControlsSeparately control the eave and gable overhang distance for automatic dormers
- Automatic Ceilings & Ceiling tools - create custom styles including cathedral, trey, coffered, and barrelAutomatic ceilings are created once a roof is generated.
- SkylightsAutomatically cut the roof with correct structural framing. Define Square or Plum sides and frame width and height.
Stairs & Ramps
- Stair toolSpecify tread width, length, tread number, overhang, and thickness. Set riser height, top and bottom height. Specify details about stringers, open underneath, runners, railing details, baluster and newel styles and shapes, brackets, handrails on walls next to stairs, around corners, and hand rail profile.
- One-Click™ Stairs & RampsAuto place stairs from platform to platform. Platform to terrain Stairs and Ramps automatically connect to the terrain when drawn from the ground to the structure.
- Advanced Stair toolsCustomize curved sections, flared treads, starter treads, winders, definable walk line, maintainable tread width, and landings.
- Wrap Around Stairs, connect treads around corners
- Auto Stairwell™Creates stairwell and the platform to match the staircase.
- Enhanced interface for Stair Specification dialogDialog diagram and access to change more attributes about stairs.
- Enhanced Stairs editing optionsOptions for riser heights, tread width, start height, and bottom height.
- Define Stair starting elevationSpecify whether stairs and ramps are located at the sub-floor or the finished floor elevation.
- Ramp toolDefault Ramp is ADA compliant. Specify length, slope rise and run. Specify overhangs, railings, tread surface, open underneath, baluster and newel styles, shapes, and hand rail profile.
- Landing toolCreate Custom Landings to auto-connect Stair sections or Ramp sections together. Choose auto adjust features for the height and thickness based on stair or ramp connection. Turn railings on or off per Landing edge.
- Automatic Handrail width from wall widthDefine the Handrail width based on the width of the wall.
- Independent RailingsCreate custom railing styles such as glass, cable, or panels.
- Railing Opening & Wall surface offsetControl whether an automatic opening is created when attaching a Stair or Ramp to a wall or railing. Control the offset of the automatic wall surface under a Stair.
- Multiple Stair SelectGroup edit the Stair attributes.
- Enhanced materials controls for Landings & StairsIndividually control the material assignments for stair and landing components.
- Foundation tools for Slab, Pier, Crawlspace, Full Basement, Stem Walls, Footings, Post & Beam, Grade BeamSet up a default foundation type, controlling stem-wall height, footing size, slab or pier information. Edit the foundations settings after it has been built.
- Foundation DefaultsMore detailed control over the foundation automatically generated for Garage rooms.
- Auto Rebuild FoundationsAutomatically update the foundation plan to align with the 1st floor as the design progresses.
- Monolithic Slab technologyDesigning slab foundations is now faster, easier, and more accurate.
- Monolithic Slab Inset LedgesCreate monolithic slab foundations with inset ledges for masonry wall construction.
- Monolithic Slab CurbingSpecify curbing for monolithic slab foundations.
- Enhanced Garage Slabs with monolithic foundationsSelect components of the slab and adjust garage specific settings to suit your design
- Display cutout indicators for Garage Doors in foundation stem walls and curbingChoose to show or hide foundation cutouts in Plan view through the window or door’s dialog
- Wall/Footing Below attributeGenerate a footing, or foundation wall + footing below, when automatic foundations are created by setting a wall as a Bearing Wall.
- Treated Bottom PlatesAny wall over concrete foundation or flooring automatically generates a treated bottom plate.
- Slab footing specificationControl footings for slabs on a per edge basis; resize, dimension, or exclude the footing.
- Vertical Footing ControlDefine stepped foundations with vertical footing control. Choose to show or hide vertical footings for stepped foundations.
- Improved foundations with Slab at top of Stem Wall
- Specify Foundation Piers as Round or Square
- Rebar calculations for Posts & BeamsSpecify the amount of rebar required for foundations so that it is calculation on the Materials List.
- Specify Slabs for crawl spaces
- Slab Volume listed in the slab specification dialog for easy reference
- Wall Footing OffsetChoose to center footings on Wall's main layer or specify an offset value.
- Slab Footing Offset DefaultSpecify a default offset distances for footings under slab foundations
- Automatic Framing - floors, walls, ceilings, roofs, openings, headersTurn on / off automatic framing – move a window and the framing updates. Define Trimmers and Headers based on opening sizes.
- Manual Framing toolsDraw individual framing members or select and edit automatically generated members.
- Trusses automatically configured to fit the spaceFloor, ceiling, and roof trusses. Create trusses that automatically conform and fit between platforms; manually edit and customize them. Truss options include scissor, attic, step down, girder, sub-girder, drop hip, jacks, kingpost, gable end, reduced gable, energy heel.
- Truss DetailsAutomatically generated truss details for floor, ceiling, and roof trusses. Each truss is labeled for easy identification.
- Roof Framing optionsHand Stack or Truss Frame. Define rafters, ridges, lookouts, sub-fascia, blocking, bridging. Valley fill roof trusses. Exposed Rafter Tails and custom rafter tail cuts - choose a molding profile or draw your own profile.
- Control Roof Lookout framingTurn on or off the automatic generation of lookout framing in the Framing dialog.
- Enhanced control of Birdsmouth cuts for RaftersTurn off auto calculation of birdsmouth and manually specify the birdsmouth seat.
- Wall Framing details on a per Wall basisFor each wall, view and edit wall framing, add dimensions or callouts. Use to produce framing schedules or wall details.
- Post & Beam framing tools - specify Round or Square postsSet the Default Material for Posts in the framing defaults.
- Automatically produce platform holes, foundation holesUse polyline tools to generate holes for the floor or ceiling and automatically generate framing around them.
- Deck Framing optionsDefine Plank overhang, width, gap, direction, border planks, beams and joists. Define widths, spacing, direction and type of planks. Automatically re-build framing as the design changes. Include or exclude beams, posts, and footings.
- CAD toolsComprehensive CAD objects and editing tools: Points, Lines, Polylines, Splines, Arcs, Circles, Ovals, Boxes, Arrows, Fence, Trim Extend, Parallel, Perpendicular, Reflect, Replicate, Transform, Fillet, Chamfer, and several others.
- Convert 2D CAD lines and polylines to other Chief objectsQuickly convert CAD to Polyline Solids, Molding Polylines, Countertops, Slabs, Landings, Holes in Roofs and Platforms. Convert Arcs and Circles to Polylines. Convert polylines to Revision Clouds and Material List Areas. Convert to Elevation and Terrain data, Sprinklers, Roads, Road Markings, and Sidewalks.
- CAD-to-Walls™Import CAD files, such as AutoCAD®, and convert CAD lines to fully configured 3D walls, windows, and doors.
* Limited to DXF
- Architectural CAD DetailsDetails for residential structural elements. Detailed assemblies for floors, roofs, decks, walls and foundations. Over 500 details are included in the premium SSA catalogs.
* Includes a subset of CAD Details
- Align / Distribute Objects toolDefine distribution and automatic alignment of CAD objects.
- Create and manage CAD Details & BlocksDraw customized details and diagrams, print them to scale, and save for reuse in the Library.
- Auto Purge CAD Blocks optionUnused CAD Blocks can be automatically purged from plans when the program is closed.
- Specify Insertion Points for CAD BlocksDefine an exact location for inserting and placing CAD Blocks.
- Close Polyline tool, Filleted Polylines radiusSelect any polyline and choose Close Polyline to automatically connect the start and end points. Editing of filleted polylines retains fillet radius.
- Arc Creation ModesChoose from a number of methods to precisely draw arcs.
- Current CAD Layer & CAD Points saved with plans and layoutsWhen a plan is closed and re-opened, the CAD Layer used in the previous session is active.
- Preference control for Roof Intersection CAD PointsControl the display of the auto-generated CAD points.
- Select Same, Load Same & Make Same toolsMatch properties between items of the same type. Edit similar items, including Electrical and Images.
- Visual CAD Snaps™Snap indicators – center, end point, tangent, and several others. Snap to objects or a grid. Snap to Reference Floor layer (a floor above or below the current floor).
- Angle Snap preview while drawing
- Multiple Copy toolReplicate objects at pre-defined increments. Set default increments for different types of framing objects, as well as general objects.
- Paste Hold Position toolCopy an item between layers, plans or floors while maintaining orientation and exact position.
- Point-to-Point Move toolAccurately move or copy objects.
- Layer SetsSet up unique layer groupings for display and printing. Create separate Layer sets for Electrical Plans, Framing Views, or Space Planning. Use the Layer Set toolbar to quickly swap active Layer Sets. Swap Layer Sets using Annotation Sets.
- User-Defined LayersIn addition to the default Layers, add, change and delete new Layers.
- Assign objects to Layers for Display & Materials ListChoose which objects display in 2D and 3D and if they are to be used in Material List. Change the default layer used for individual objects and assign them as necessary.
- Layer Eyedropper & Layer Painter toolSelect a layer assigned to an object using the Layer Eyedropper tool, then apply that layer to a different object with Layer Painter.
- Layer Hider toolClick on an object in plan view to turn off its layer display
- Control Placing Objects on Hidden and Locked LayersAbility to override the placement of objects on layers that are turned Off or that are hidden.
- Control display attributes by LayerSet color, weight, and line style on a per layer basis. Lock layers as necessary to prevent editing.
- Object Layer Properties edit toolQuickly and easily modify the layer properties for any object
- Layer Set Defaults dialog & Management dialogAssign 2D and 3D views to Layer Sets. For example, assign the Cross Section camera to a “Wall Cabinets” only view. Manage Layer Sets - import, export, copy, edit, delete, and create new layer sets from one dialog. Set the currently active set and the reference set.
- Assign Cameras to Layers
- Layer Set Defaults for Camera TypesSpecify unique layer sets for each camera type; Full Camera, Floor Camera, Full Overview, Floor Overview, Cross Section, Back-Clipped Cross Section, and Wall Elevation. Control the layers displayed for any of these cameras when they are initially created by assigning layer sets in the Layer Set Defaults dialog.
- Stair and Ramp Up/Down Arrow layer controlNew layer for stair and ramp arrow allows you to control the display separately.
- New “Footings, Step Markers” layerControl the step markers display, line style, color, line weight, and text style.
- Layer and Line Style Information are stored with cabinets, CAD blocks, and other objects stored in the Library
- Reference Layer SetsReference Layer Sets are retained for each view sent to Layout pages.
- Dimensioning toolsBaseline, Centerline, Angular, End-to-End, Interior, Point-to-Point, and Temporary dimensions. Use One-Click Auto Dimensions™ for exteriors.
* Excludes Baseline, Centerline
- Running Dimension ToolDraw dimension with cumulative values from base item to each dimensioned object in a single dimension string.
- Specify Dimension Units, Accuracy, & DisplayUse Imperial and Metric systems. Control the units displayed for dimensions, number height and font, arrow size and style, accuracy in decimals or fractions to 1/128" or 0.0078125.
- Dimension Label Fill optionSpecify solid or transparent fill for dimensions' text.
- Define where Dimensions locateLocate to centers, rough openings, casing, interior layer, main framing layer, sides, and several other locations.
- Input Accurate Dimensions using a DISTO™ or other Laser Distance MeterUse a Bluetooth or Wireless compatible device to automatically measure a space then input the distances directly into dimension strings.
- Automatic Interior DimensionsAutomatically dimension interior rooms. Set defaults for locating objects.
- Auto Exterior Dimensions DefaultsDefine the default behavior of Automatic Exterior Dimensions.
- Delete Automatic DimensionsUse the Delete Objects tool to delete Automatic Dimensions from a Floor or the Entire Plan. Manually edited or modified dimensions will remain.
- Multiple Dimension DefaultsDefine multiple dimension styles and attributes for your specific needs, such as defaults for floor plans, cabinet elevations and site plans. For each Default, define the attributes for number height, unit of measure, arrow, fonts and more.
- Precisely position objects by entering a dimensionSelect any object, and enter a corresponding dimension number to move the object a set distance.
- Enhanced Wall Editing with DimensionsAdjust wall lengths by selecting dimensions or temporary dimensions that run parallel to the wall. Display Wall length as you draw; press TAB to input an exact dimension
- Tape Measure toolUse the Tape Measure Tool to find the measurements of any item.
- Dimensions snap to objectsSnap to the Center of Cabinets, sides of Appliances and Fixtures, Framing, and Callouts and Markers.
- Dimension Location Snaps for Furniture ItemsSet dimensions to snap to the centers and/or sides of furniture objects for Manual and Automatic Dimensions.
- Dimension locations for wall tops, bottoms and cross sectionsWall Elevation Views include dimension locations and extension for wall tops and bottoms. Cross Section Views include dimension locations and extension lines for finished floor and ceilings.
- Box and Bumpout Extension SnapsSnap to projected 90° intersections
- Auto Exterior Dimensions for Slab FoundationsAutomatically dimension monolithic slab foundations with a single click.
- Dimensions Snap to Foundation FootingsAccurately dimension foundation footings with manually drawn dimensions.
- Show or hide firebox dimensions for free standing fireplaces
Lighting / Electrical / HVAC
- Electrical & HVAC toolsCreate Electrical, Plumbing and Heating / Ventilation plans. Electrical – place lights, switches, outlets, low voltage, and wiring. Circuit Connection tools draw the connections and circuits for your electrical layout. Connect electrical components together to create circuits. Adjust the lines and arcs of the circuit design. Connections will automatically change switches for 3-way and 4-way. Specify Electrical, Fixture, and Furniture items to attach to ceilings and roofs and auto-rotate to match the pitch of roofs or vaulted ceilings.
- Electrical DefaultsControl the initial behavior by specifying default values. Set up default objects to be placed when adding lights and outlets to a room, set the height for outlets and switches off the floor or countertops.
- Auto Place Outlets toolPlaces outlets at regular intervals based on room type.
- Electrical Lighting & Lighting SourcesUse Light Sources in addition to light fixture symbols to enhance the lighting in a scene. Light Fixtures have light sources for Render and Ray Trace Views.
- Define custom lighting with shadows, attenuation and intensityTurn lighting on or off per fixture to control whether a light is used for a 3D scene.
- Improved Lighting UnitsChoose from common wattage/lumens values for lights or specify custom values.
- Easily control lightingNew edit controls for lighting allow you to turn lights on or off with a single click.
- Enhanced Adjust Lighting DialogAdded information in dialog makes it easy to locate lights by label name or room location
- Automatic GFCI outlets in KitchensUse the Auto Place Outlet tool to add GFCI outlets to your kitchen rooms.
- Continuous draw mode for Electrical ConnectionsQuickly generate electrical connections for each circuit in your design.
- Photo-realistic lighting effects with the Ray trace renderingSee the Rendering section for additional detail.
Materials List & Cost Estimating
- Automatically generate Materials ListsAutomatic Materials List with columns for equipment, unit costs, percent markup, and labor costs. Change order of the columns. Generate a list for the entire plan, single room, or defined area using a polyline.
- Master Materials ListThe Master Materials List stores master data, such as price. When a new project is started, the Master List data is applied. Save and load multiple Master Materials Lists.
- Specify Layers when calculating a Materials ListUse Layers to control what is included in the Materials List.
- Materials List ComponentsAdd detailed information to objects– such as glazing to a cabinet finish. Components information is then posted to the materials list. Choose which details to show or hide on the final Materials List using Components.
- Material SchedulesCreate Schedules for Doors, Windows, Cabinets, Fixtures, Appliances, Furniture, Electrical HVAC, Plumbing, Plants and Room Finish. Exclude specific items from Schedules such as cabinet hardware. Automatically Customize the information contained in the Schedule and label controls for Schedules.
- Cut & Buy ListsThe Structural Lumber Table can be used to calculate lumber materials for a Cut List and a Buy List. This calculation is in addition to square feet and lineal feet calculations and can be especially helpful for your framing and decking board calculations.
- Materials List include soffits under roof eaves
Text / Annotation / Scripting
- Fully editable Text toolsControl font, size, weight, color, position, justification, and more.
- Advanced Rich Text toolsFormat text with varying colors, font, and more. Convert plain text to rich text.
- Text Style toolsCreate unlimited Text Styles and assign them per layer, per default, or per object to control the appearance of labels, dimensions and other text in your design.
- Specify Line Style and Fill Style for SchedulesChange schedule grid color and overall background color on a per schedule basis.
- Improved control over multiple schedulesManage multiple schedules of the same type and independently control their display of labels. Improved schedule updating when items in the plan are added to or removed from the schedule display.
- Spell CheckerUses a built-in or custom dictionary.
- Enhanced Text controlFont control, font defaults, and text macros for page number, date, and others.
- Customizable Text Arrows
- More control over arrowhead styleSpecify the arrowhead type used for Joist Directions, Sun Angles, Roof Labels, and Stairs and Ramps.
- Callouts & MarkersPlace Callouts and Markers in Plan, Elevation, Layout, and Detail views. Adjust fill color, line style, line weight, and double-headed Callouts. Callouts and Markers have unique layers. Use multiple default styles for Arrows, Markers, and Callouts.
- Custom Door, Window, & Cabinet LabelsType your own customized labels for any Door, Window, or Cabinet object. Control cabinet label size and orientation.
- Rotate LabelsSelect and rotate labels independently in Plan view. Set default label rotation and offset; set label rotation to be relative or absolute to the rotation of the object.
- Layer for Camera LabelsLabel display for cameras is now independent from the camera display.
- Automatic Roof LabelsDisplay labels for roofs, skylights and holes. Label includes pitch direction arrow and the roof angle in pitch or degrees. Modify the arrow style and text style of the roof labels
- Labels for Layout BoxesAutomatic labels for layout views will display the camera name for elevation and section views or the floor plan name for plan views. Create custom labels that will move with the views and you set up you layout .
- Specify labels for Light Source or “added light” objectsUniquely name light sources in your scenes for easy recognition.
- Soffit, Shelf, and Partition LabelsAssign custom labels through the new Label Tab for soffits, shelves, and partitions
- Labels for Bay, Box, and Bow WindowsCustomize labels through the Label Tab of the Bay, Box, and Bow Window dialogs.
- Primary and Secondary Terrain contour labelsThe primary and secondary labels are now independent of each other. Control the highlight for negative value contour labels.
- Room Label background fillSpecify background fill color or solid or transparent fill for room labels
- Control the location of LabelsNew X and Y offsets for labels allow you to control the orientation of labels in relationship to the object.
- Embed Hyperlinks in TextAdd links to website or other files using the text tools.
- Text Macros & User Defined Text MacrosInsert macros into text objects. Add Contact Info, File Info, Plan Info, Special Characters, and Time and Date macros. Create custom Macros, such as macros for Contractor, Supplier, or Revision Number.
* Excludes User Defined Text Macros
- Window MacrosUse macros to include Window Type, Top Elevation, Bottom Elevation, and Floor to Header height in window labels.
- Label macros for Electrical Lights, Stairs & Ramps, Roof Pitch / Slope, and Layout Boxes
- Printed Paper sizesSpecify printed paper sizes to fit your design scale.
- PDF printPrint to a PDF file for outsourcing a print job – great when you do not have a large format printer.
- Print PreviewDisplays printable area, paper edges, and line weights. Outline printing is visible in Print Preview mode.
- Scale-to-Page or Paper Size
- Page SetupDetermine plan sheet size and specify how it prints to different paper size.
- Span printing across multiple pagesPrint a large format sheet on a smaller paper size and tape together to make the larger sheet.
- Control line style begin and end sizeFor example, for a dashed line define the start and end dash size.
Import / Export
- Import & Export Chief ObjectsImport/Export Annotation Sets, Layer Sets, Hot Keys, Wall Types, Line Styles, Macros, and Ruby Scripts. Share with other users or transfer them from plan to plan.
* Excludes Hotkeys, Ruby Scripts, and Line Styles
- Transfer Layers between Plan filesLayer names can be transferred between plans.
- Export Materials List to Microsoft Excel, CSV, TXT, or HTML
- Import & Export 2D DXFAdvanced Layer Mapping to assist with importing.
- AutoCAD® 2013 CompatibilityImport or Export DXF and DWG files.
* Excludes DWG
- Import & Export 3D filesImport 3D DXF, DWG, OBJ, 3DS, SKP. Export 3D DXF, DWG, 3DS
* Excludes DWG, Excludes 3D Export
- SketchUp 8 object import (32-bit version only)
- Import image files: BMP, JPG, GIF, PCS, TIFF, PCX, PNG, Metafiles, TGAImage import - specify transparency color and add plant data or image information for materials and backdrops. Display Metafile on plan, elevation, and layout views. Specify fill style to show through and transparency on the image.
- Export .AVI files for Virtual Tours & 3D VRML
* Excludes VRML
- Customizable ToolbarsModify the toolbar to match your work style. Add and remove buttons, create toolbar groupings, dock and undock toolbars.
- Toolbar SetsA collection of tools on a toolbar set organized by discipline: Default, Terrain, Kitchen & Bath, Space Planning, Plan Detailing, Mechanical Electrical Plumbing, CAD, Color Palette with customizable material swatches.
* Excludes Space Planning, MEP, Kitchen & Bath toolbars and Color Palette
- Specify Preferences & DefaultsSet up Preferences for display and editing tools to customize the interface to your needs. Specify defaults most architectural elements.
- Reference Floors & Current Floor retained within the Plan fileAssist with layout and wall alignment (displays the floor above or below the current floor). If you have a multi-level plan, the program will re-open to the floor and in the area when you last saved and closed the file.
- Virtual Graph Paper™ displayAdjust grid to display a reference in any increment, great for modular design, space planning, and as an indication of scale.
- Auto-ArchiveSet Auto-Archive Preference to schedule how frequently projects are backed up to an archive file.
- Support & Software AssuranceUpdates, Major Releases and New Versions, Priority Technical Support, Over 500 Online Training Video access, Download Library Catalogs access, Discounted Training Seminars, Discounts on Secondary Licenses.
- 30-Day Satisfaction GuaranteeIf you are not completely satisfied, Chief Architect, Inc. will gladly refund your purchase price within 30 days of purchase.