Creating a Breezeway
| Reference Number: KB-00056 Last Updated: 05-12-2015 03:07 PM
The information in this article applies to:
I need to create a breezeway in my design with columns and a roof. How can I do this in Chief Architect?
In this article, we will be designing a simple breezeway that runs from our house to our swimming pool area. The breezeway will be an open breezeway, with a roof and some exposed trusses. We will also be using columns to support the roof under the trusses.
To design the breezeway
- As with any other type of structure in Chief Architect, we will first need to define the room definition of our breezeway, so that the program will know to generate a roof over it, and that we will have control over the floor height.
- Now select the room you've just created and click the Open Object edit button to display the Room Specification dialog.
- Under the Structure panel:
Next, specify any gable walls that you need, then generate your roof by selecting Build> Roof> Build Roof .
- Adjust your floor height to the desired height.
In this example we will be using -14" to push our structure down to the ground.
- Remove the checkmark beside Ceiling Over this Room.
- In this example, we will also be specifying the room type to be a Slab on the General panel, however you can use any room type that generates the type of floor structure you are looking for.
- Click OK to apply these changes and close the Room Specification dialog.
Open your Library Browser and search for Column, or navigate to columns in the Millwork folder.
Now, place your columns where you would like them.
- In this example, we will be using some columns from the Chief Architect Bonus Catalog found under Chief Architect Bonus Catalogs> Columns and Pillars> Rustic Columns.
Select Build> Framing> Roof Truss and draw in your trusses under the roof line.
- They can overlap the invisible walls without causing any problems.
- You may need to adjust the Height of the column to reach down to the lowered floor height.
Click 3D> Create Perspective View> Full Overview
In this view, you can use the Material Painter to apply the material you want to the trusses and columns.
If you don't see your Trusses be sure to check that the Framing, Trusses layer is turned on in your camera view layer set.
Your breezeway is now complete!