How to Add Items to the Materials List
| Reference Number: KB-00098 Last Updated: 10-08-2013 01:12 PM
The information in this article applies to:
How can I add a line item to a materials list in the appropriate category? For example, I would like to add the cost to use a cement mixer to the "Foundation" category.
Adding a line item to the Materials List in Chief Architect is easily done by specifying the item as a component of one of the architectural objects in your plan.
To add a component to an object in your plan
- Click on an object in your plan that is associated with the item you wish to add to your Materials List.
- In this example, a foundation wall is selected.
- With the object selected, click the Components edit button to open the Components dialog for this object.
- Click the Add button at the bottom of the dialog window.
- A new row will appear under the General heading with 'Accessory' in the Description column.
- Click on the word "Accessory" and replace it with a short, descriptive phrase such as "Cement Mixer".
- Make sure the figure in the Count column is set to "1".
- Also make sure that the check box in the Use column is checked.
- Click in the ID column for the new item, then click the drop-down arrow and select the Materials List category that you would like this item to appear in.
- In this example, "Foundation" is selected.
- Add any other information to the new component, such as Price or Supplier, then click OK to close the dialog and apply the change.
- Select Tools> Materials List> Calculate from all Floors from the menu to create a new Materials List.
WARNING: Keep in mind that the line item has been entered as a component in one object in the plan. In this case, the cement mixer is a component of a single wall of the foundation.
If you delete the foundation and rebuild it, or just delete the wall in question and rebuild it, the components associated with that wall will no longer be part of the Materials List.
Article Number 510: How to display the Material List Display Options dialog
Article Number 603: How to save changes and prices entered in to a Materials List