Creating a Flat Parapet Roof
| Reference Number: KB-00295 Last Updated: 01-06-2015 03:04 PM
The information in this article applies to:
How do I create a flat roof structure with parapet walls?
To create a flat roof structure with parapet walls
- Launch Chief Architect and create a new plan by selecting File> New Plan from the menu.
- Select Build> Wall> Straight Exterior Wall child button and draw four walls in a clockwise manner to make a simple enclosed rectangular structure.
- Next, select Build> Floor> Build New Floor from the menu to open the New Floor dialog.
- In the New Floor dialog, choose Make new blank plan for the 2nd Floor to create a new, blank floor.
In Chief Architect X3 and newer, this will also display the Floor 2 Defaults dialog, which allows you to enter 36" into the Finished Ceiling (F) value, then click OK.
In Chief Architect X2 and prior, this dialog will not display, so, while still on the Second Floor once it has been created, you will need to select Edit> Default Settings from the menu, then select Floor Defaults.
In the Floor 2 Defaults dialog, delete the information in the Ceiling Height(B) field and type the desired parapet wall height in inches (example: 36"), and click the OK button.
- Next, with Floor 2 active , select Tools> Reference Floors> Reference Floor Display , or press the F9 hotkey keyboard shortcut to see how the second floor relates to the first.
- Select Build> Wall> Straight Half-Wall child button and draw four half walls in a clockwise manner directly on top of the reference for the first floor walls to make a simple enclosed rectangular structure.
In Chief Architect X2 and prior, you should use a Straight Railing defined as Solid on the Railing tab of its specification dialog.
The half walls should snap directly to the reference display lines of the first floor walls, however, if you select a half wall and it is not aligned properly, select the Align with Wall Below edit tool.
Defining the second floor parapet room:
- Click the Select Objects tool and double-click in the middle of the second floor room to open the Room Specification dialog.
- In the Room Specification dialog, on the Structure panel:
- In Chief Architect X3 and newer, notice that the Ceiling Height is set to 36".
In Chief Architect X2 and prior, this setting was located on the General tab.
- Uncheck Ceiling Over This Room and Roof Over This Room.
- In Chief Architect X3 and newer, select Floor Finish (K) and set the Material Name. For the purposes of this example, we used one of the Asphalt materials.
In Chief Architect X2 and prior, on the Materials tab, select Flooring Covering and choose an appropriate material for the roof of your structure.
- Select the Materials panel, select Walls and choose an appropriate wall covering for the interior walls
In Chief Architect X2 and prior, on the Molding tab, erase all information in the Height fields and replace with the number zero.
- Click the OK button to close the Room Specification dialog and apply these changes.
- Next, take a Perspective Full Camera view to see your Flat Roof Parapet Wall Structure.
As you can see, the tops of our half walls, or solid railings, are still displayed. We can either use the Material Painter in the camera view, or open the Railing Specification dialog and adjust the Rail on the Materials panel to accurately reflect what we want to have displayed.