The information in this article applies to:
I was working in the program when this error message displayed:
Error: An unexpected error occurred. You should "Save As" to save your current work in a NEW FILE and restart the program.
What does this mean?
As this Error message suggests, the program was not able to determine the cause of the error.
There are several things that you can do if you encounter an error message in the program and are unsure of what it means.
Note the exact wording of the error
First, make a note of the exact wording of the error. If the error message box includes a Details button, click it and make a note of the error number in addition to the wording.
You can also create a screen capture of the message box instead of writing down its contents. If a Details button is available, click it so the additional information can be seen.
To create a screen capture on a Windows computer
- Click on the message box title bar to make sure it is the active window.
- Press and hold down the Alt key on your keyboard, then press the Print Screen key.
- Open an image editing application such as Paint or Microsoft Word and select Edit> Paste from the menu.
- Select File> Save and save the file.
To create a screen capture on a Mac computer
- Click on the message box title bar to make sure it is the active window
- On your keyboard press the Command key, the Shift key and the number 3 all at the same time.
- This will save a screen shot image on your desktop.
Note what you were doing when the error occurred
As soon as possible after the error occurs, write down exactly what you were doing in the program. Important information to note includes:
What plan or layout file you were working on;
What kind of view was active (floor plan view, layout view, camera view, CAD Detail window);
How many files and/or view windows were open;
What drawing or editing tool was active;
What object were you editing;
Any unusual program behavior or other error messages you may have noticed.
Contact Technical Support
Once you have recorded the contents of the error message and made a note of the conditions under which it occurred, contact Chief Architect Technical Support either by telephone at 208.292.3399 or online at http://support.chiefarchitect.com/.