Building a Stage Platform
| Reference Number: KB-00426 Last Updated: 10-23-2013 02:14 PM
The information in this article applies to:
I need a raised stage in one portion of my plan. How can I create it?
Stages are often found in churches, schools, theatres and other public buildings. A raised area such as a stage can be created in several ways in Chief Architect. This article describes two of the most common methods.
To create a stage using a polyline solid
- Launch Chief Architect and choose to Open the Chief Architect plan in which you would like to design a stage.
In this example, a simple 20' x 30' plan is used.
- Select Build> Primitive> Polyline Solid from the menu, then click and drag to draw a rectangle.
- Don't worry about the exact size or position right now - it can be edited at any time once it is created.
- Using the Select Objects tool, click on the polyline solid to select it and use its edit handles to resize it and move it into position in your plan.
- With the polyline solid still selected, click the Open Object edit button to open the Polyline Solid Specification dialog.
- On the General tab, specify the Height, which is the height of the top surface of the solid, and the Thickness of the stage.
In this example, both the Elevation at Top and Thickness are set at 36".
- Click OK to close the dialog and apply your changes to the Polyline Solid object.
- Select 3D> Create Perspective View> Full Camera from the menu, then click and drag a camera arrow in the direction of the stage.
- In the camera view, select 3D> Materials> Material Eyedropper from the menu.
- Click on a surface in the view that you would like to apply to the stage, such as a floor or wall material.
- When you click on the desired material, it is loaded into the Material Painter and your cursor icon will change from the Material Eyedropper icon to the Material Painter icon.
- Click on the polyline solid stage to apply the selected material to it.
- To deactivate the Material Painter, click the Select Objects tool.
To create a stage by defining a room
- Open the Chief Architect plan in which you would like to design a stage.
Again, a simple 20' x 30' plan is used for the purposes of this example.
- Select Build> Wall> Straight Railing from the menu, then click and drag draw one or more railings to define the stage area.
- When the stage is defined, click the Select Objects tool and click on a railing to select it.
- Hold down the Shift key on your keyboard and click on each of the other railings defining the stage to select them as a group.
- When all of the railing are selected, click the Open Object edit button to open the Railing Specification dialog.
- On the General tab, check the box beside Invisible.
- Click OK to close the dialog and apply your changes to all of the selected railings.
- Click the Select Objects tool and click inside the stage room formed by the railing to select it, then click the Open Object edit button to open the Room Specification dialog.
- On the General tab, delete the Floor (C) value and replace it with the desired stage height, then click OK to close the dialog and apply your change.
For the purposes of this example, we will use 36".
- To see the results, select 3D> Create Perspective View> Full Camera from the menu, then click and drag a camera arrow in the direction of the stage.