Building a Stage Platform
| Reference Number: KB-00426 Last Updated: 12-24-2014 07:27 AM
The information in this article applies to:
I need a raised stage in one portion of my plan. How can I create it?
Stages are often found in churches, schools, theaters and other public buildings. A raised area such as a stage can be created in several ways in Chief Architect. This article describes two of the most common methods.
To create a stage using a polyline solid
- Launch Chief Architect and choose to Open the Chief Architect plan in which you would like to design a stage.
In the examples below, a simple 20' x 30' plan is used.
- Select Build> Primitive> Polyline Solid from the menu, then click and drag to draw a rectangle.
Don't worry about the exact size or position right now - it can be edited at any time once it is created.
- Using the Select Objects tool, click on the polyline solid to select it and use its edit handles to resize it and move it into position in your plan.
- With the polyline solid still selected, click the Open Object edit button to open the Polyline Solid Specification dialog.
- In this example, both the Elevation at Top and Thickness are set at 36".
- On the Materials panel click the lower of the two Polyline Solid options then click the Library Material button.
- In the Select Library Object dialog browse to the material you would like to apply to your stage platform and click OK.
- Click OK to close the dialog and apply your changes to the Polyline Solid object.
- Select 3D> Create Perspective View> Full Camera from the menu, then click and drag a camera arrow in the direction of the stage to view the result.
To create a stage by defining a room
- Select Build> Wall> Room Divider from the menu, then click and drag a divider to define the stage area.
In Chief Architect X5 and prior, you will need to use the Invisible Wall tool instead.
- Click the Select Objects tool and click inside the stage room formed by the railing to select it, then click the Open Object edit button to open the Room Specification dialog.
- On the General panel, delete the Floor (C) value and replace it with the desired stage height, then click OK to close the dialog and apply your change.
For the purposes of the example below, 36" was used.
- To see the results, select 3D> Create Perspective View> Full Camera from the menu, then click and drag a camera arrow in the direction of the stage.