Applying Different Materials to a Ceiling
| Reference Number: KB-00474 Last Updated: 12-09-2014 08:19 AM
The information in this article applies to:
I would like to change the color of the ceiling in my model. How is this accomplished?
There are a couple of methods for changing the material applied to a ceiling plane: using the Ceiling Plane Specification dialog and using the Material Painter tool in a 3D view.
To use the Ceiling Plane Specification dialog
If you have created ceiling planes manually using the Ceiling Plane tool, you can select them in floor plan view and change the material that they display.
- Click the Select Objects button, click on a ceiling plane to select it, and click the Open Object edit button.
- On the General panel of the Ceiling Plane Specification dialog, uncheck Use Room Ceiling Finish.
- On the Materials panel, select Ceiling Surface in within dialog, then click the Library Material button. In the Select Library Object dialog, browse the Materials library category to find a material for your ceiling plane.
- Click on the desired material to select it, then click OK on both the Select Library Object and Ceiling Plane Specification dialogs to apply the selected material to the ceiling plane.
To use the Material Painter
- Select 3D> Create Render View> Render Full Camera from the menu, then click and drag a camera arrow inside the room in which you would like to change the ceiling material.
- In the 3D view of the room, use the Up arrow key on your keyboard or the Camera Orbit , Tilt , or Move tools to adjust the camera position so that you can see the ceiling planes.
- Select 3D> Material Painter> Material Painter from the menu.
- In the Select Library Object dialog that appears:
- Browse the Materials library category to find a material that you would like to apply to the ceiling.
- Click on a material to select it, then click OK to close the dialog.
- When you move your cursor into the 3D view, it will display the Material Painter cursor.
- Click on a ceiling plane to apply the selected material to that plane.
- Continue clicking on additional ceiling planes or other objects to apply the material to these objects as well.
- When you are satisfied with the appearance of your ceilings, click the Select Objects button or press the Spacebar on your keyboard to deactivate the Material Painter.
- You may need to adjust the position of your camera or even create more than one camera view to make the needed changes to any ceiling planes that you wish.