Customizing a CAD Block
| Reference Number: KB-00500 Last Updated: 10-03-2013 05:12 AM
The information in this article applies to:
I have been looking at the CAD details in the Chief Architect CAD Blocks library category, and these are not exactly what I need. Is there a way to edit one of these drawings to make it meet my particular needs?
The CAD Blocks library category contains generic drawings that are intended to be a starting point for you to create the exact detail drawing that you need. When you find one that is similar to what you need but requires some changes, use the procedure below to explode the block and edit it as needed.
To customize a CAD block
- You can place CAD drawings in any of several view types; however, CAD Detail windows are intended specifically to help you organize the CAD drawings in use in your plan.
- Select CAD> CAD Detail Management from the menu.
- In the CAD Detail Management dialog, click the New button.
- In the Create New CAD Detail dialog, type a descriptive name for your new drawing, then click OK.
- A new CAD Detail window opens, ready for you to place and edit a drawing.
- Select Library> Library Browser to open the Library Browser.
- Click the plus (+) sign beside CAD Blocks to expand the category.
- Browse to find a drawing that is similar to what you need.
- Click on the name of the drawing or its image in either library preview pane to select it.
- When you move your cursor into your drawing area, your cursor will display the CAD Blocks icon. Click to place the selected CAD block at that location.
- Click on the Select Objects tool, then click on the newly placed CAD block to select it,
- Click the Explode CAD Block edit button.
- When you click Explode CAD Block , your CAD detail will no longer be a single, unmodifiable unit.
Instead, you will see that it is composed of multiple individual CAD lines. Each of these can be modified and again blocked together as necessary.
: It is possible to embed a CAD block within another CAD block. If, after clicking Explode CAD Block, you find an object that you cannot edit as expected, click on it to select it and then check the edit toolbar for the Explode CAD Block edit button. If you find this button, click on it and continue editing.
- When your drawing is edited to suit your needs, you can turn it into a CAD block:
- Click the Select Objects edit button to select it.
- Hold down the Shift key on your keyboard and draw a rectangular selection marquee around the entire drawing.
- When you release your mouse button, everything within the marquee will be selected.
- Click the Make CAD Block edit button.
- Your new CAD block can be added to your library, as well:
- Click on the CAD block to select it.
- Click the Add to Library edit button.
- In Chief Architect X2 and newer, this will add the block directly to the Library Browser. You can then Rename the block and move it to the appropriate folder that you have created for it.
- In Chief Architect X1 and prior, in the Add to Library dialog, click on an unlocked library or library folder to select it, type a name for your detail drawing, and click OK.