July 16, 2015
The information in this article applies to:
How do I create a small room under a staircase in my plan?
Many plans use the space beneath staircases for storage or utilities.
To create a room under a staircase
- Select Build> Stairs> Straight Stairs from the menu, then click and drag to draw a staircase.
- Click on the stairs to select them, then click the Open Object edit button. On the Style panel of the Staircase Specification dialog:
- Make sure that the box beside Open Underneath is checked.
- Click the OK button to close the dialog and apply your change.
- Select Build> Wall> Straight Interior Wall from the menu, then click and drag to draw interior walls to enclose the area beneath the stairs.
- Notice that once drawn, walls drawn at the same location as the stairs do not display in floor plan view.
- Do not draw or extend a wall past the second step of the staircase.
If you have trouble moving the wall under the edge of the stairs hold down the Ctrl key on a PC or the Command key on a Mac to allow for free movement.
- Select Build> Door> Hinged Door from the menu, then click once on a wall drawn in step 4, above, to place a door at that location.
If you prefer, you can instead create the door in a 3D view.
- Use shelves, cabinets, items from the Fixtures (Interior) library category or other objects to finish the interior of the storage or utility room.
- Select 3D> Create Perspective View> Full Camera from the menu, then click and drag a camera arrow towards the room that you created.