How to Trace Over a Digital Image of a Floor Plan
| Reference Number: KB-00620 Last Updated: 08-27-2013 01:42 PM
The information in this article applies to:
I have a digital picture of a floor plan and would like to trace over it using the architectural tools in Chief Architect.
How can I bring the picture into the program so that it is scaled correctly and then use it as a template that I can draw over?
In Chief Architect, you can import a digital image into floor plan view and then use it as a template to trace over using architectural drawing tools like the Wall, Door, Window and Roof Tools.
If the image includes dimension lines, you can also resize the image so that it is scaled reasonably accurately.
It's important to note, though, that perfect scaling accuracy is not guaranteed when using an image file such as a .jpg as your template. After it is drawn, it's best to use the Dimension Tools in the program to precisly locate the objects that you draw in your plan.
To import an image file
- Open an existing plan in which you would like to use a digital image as drawing template, or select File> New Plan from the menu to create a new, blank plan.
- Select File> Import> Picture to open the Import Picture File dialog.
- Click the Look in drop-down arrow and browse to the location on your computer where your digital image is saved.
It is best to make a copy of the image file in the same directory as the .plan and .layout files to prevent the link to the image from being broken.
- Click once on the picture file to select it.
When the picture file is selected, a small version of it will be visible in the Preview window of the dialog.
- When the correct picture file is selected, click the Open button.
To scale the image
- Locate a wall in the image that has been dimensioned and make a note of its length.
- Select Build> Wall> Straight Exterior Wall from the menu, then click and drag a wall that is parallel to and near the wall noted above.
- Click on this wall to select it, then click the Open Object edit button.
- On the General tab of the Wall Specification dialog, specify the exact length as the wall in the image, noted above.
If the wall or object on the image is dimensioned to 10 feet long, for example, make this new wall exactly 10 feet long, as well.
- Click the Select Objects tool on the toolbar and click on the imported image to select it.
- Click and drag the edit handle at any corner of the image to resize it in a uniform manner.
- Dragging away from the center of the image will enlarge the image.
- Dragging toward the center will make it smaller.
- Resize the image until the wall noted above is the same length as the manually drawn wall.
- When the two are the same size, use the Move edit handle that displays at the center of the image to move it into position relative to the wall drawn that you have created.
- Use the architectural drawing tools to continue drawing your plan, using the imported image as a template.