July 16, 2015
The information in this article applies to:
I would like to add an eyebrow, also known as a roof return, to a specific wall on my plan. What is the easiest way to do this?
Roof returns can be specified on a wall by wall basis in the Wall Specification dialog.
To create a retaining wall
- Identify a wall to which you would like to attach roof returns.
- Click the Select Objects tool on the toolbar and double-click on that wall to open the Wall Specification dialog.
- On the Roof panel, check the box beside Auto Roof Return.
When Auto Roof Return is selected, the options below it become enabled, allowing you to specify how the roof returns will be built.
- Specify the horizontal Length of the roof returns along the wall.
- In the Extend field, specify how much the roof returns should extend beyond the roof overhang.
- Select either Gable, Hip or Full roof returns.
- Select either Sloping or Flat roof returns.
If you select Sloping, the pitch will be the same as the roof planes above the return.
If you select Flat, the pitch will be 1:12, or 4° 46'.
Note: Keep in mind that you can easily change the size and style of roof returns after they are built by simply returning to the Roof panel and making the change - rebuilding the roof is not necessary.
- Once you have specified the type of roof return you would like, click the OK button to close the dialog.
- Repeat this process for all walls in your structure that require roof returns.
Multiple walls can be group-selected and specified for roof returns at once by holding down the shift key on your keyboard while selecting them.
- To see your roof returns in a 3D view, from the menu select 3D> Create Perspective View> Full Overview .