Creating a Curved Barrel Roof
| Reference Number: KB-00649 Last Updated: 04-29-2015 07:32 AM
The information in this article applies to:
I would like to quickly create a curved, or barrel roof on my structure. How can I accomplish this?
You can quickly create a custom curved roof for your structure by drawing and then editing a roof plane.
To create a barrel roof
- Open the plan in which you would like to create a barrel roof or select File> New Plan from the menu. In this example a simple 20' x 30' building is used.
- Select Build> Roof> Roof Plane from the menu, then draw a single roof plane over your structure.
- Click and drag along one of the exterior walls on which the roof will rest to create a roof baseline.
- Release the mouse and click anywhere in the middle of the room to set the ridge top of the roof plane.
- The roof plane will display as a dashed, green rectangle.
- Using the Select Objects tool, click one time on the roof plane near one of its edges to select it and display its edit handles.
- Use the side edit handles to resize the plane so that it completely encompasses the area over which you would like the barrel roof.
- Dimensions can also be used to accurately locate roof overhangs.
- When the roof plane is appropriately sized, select it and click on the Open Object edit button to open the Roof Plane Specification dialog. On the General panel:
- Click the radio button beside Lock Baseline Height to lock this value.
- Specify the Lock Pitch as 0".
- The Ridge Top Height and Baseline Height should now be the same.
- In the Curved Roof section near the lower portion of the General panel, check the box beside Curved Roof.
- The maximum Angle at value is 89° (or -89°), which produces a true half-barrel roof. To achieve this, specify a small Radius to roof surface value such as 1, then press the Tab key on the keyboard. The program will apply the smallest possible radius value for this roof.
- To lessen the pitch of the curved roof at the eaves, increase the Radius to Roof Surface value.
- When you are satisfied with the settings for your barrel roof, click the OK button to close the dialog and apply your settings.
- You may find it helpful to adjust these settings more than once.
- To see the results, select 3D> Create Perspective View> Perspective Full Overview from the menu.