Creating a Curved Barrel Ceiling
| Reference Number: KB-00650 Last Updated: 01-12-2015 12:37 PM
The information in this article applies to:
I would like to create a barrel ceiling on the inside of my structure. How can I accomplish this?
You can easily create a custom curved ceiling for your structure using a manually drawn ceiling plane.
To create a curved or barrel ceiling
- Open the plan in which you would like to create a barrel ceiling.
- Click the Select Objects button, then click in an empty space of the room in which you would like to create a barrel ceiling and click the Open Object edit button.
- On the Structure panel of the Room Specification dialog, uncheck the box beside the Ceiling Over This Room, then click OK to close the dialog and apply your change.
- With the default flat ceiling removed from the room, you can now create a curved roof. Select Build> Roof> Ceiling Plane from the menu. Your cursor will turn into a cross-hair.
- Click and drag along one of the exterior wall on which the straight sides of the barrel ceiling will rest to create a ceiling baseline.
- Release the mouse button, move your cursor into the middle of the room and release the mouse button to set the ridge top of the ceiling plane.
- The ceiling plane will display as a dashed, pink rectangle.
- Click the Select Objects tool, then click on the ceiling plane near one of its edges to select it and display its edit handles.
- Use the edit handles to resize the plane so that it completely encompasses the area over which you would like the barrel ceiling.
- When the ceiling plane is appropriately sized, select it and click the Open Object edit button to open the Ceiling Plane Specification dialog.
- At the lower left corner of the General panel, place a check in the box beside Curved Roof, which will enable the options directly below it.
- Click the radio button to the left of the Lock Inside Bottom Height to lock it, then set the Lock Pitch to 0.
- Press the Tab key on your keyboard to apply this new value without closing the dialog box.
- Return to the Curved Roof section and assign Angle at eave value (in degrees) between 0 and 89. 0 would give you a flat ceiling and 90 degrees, a full 1/2 barrel. Notice that when you press the Tab key on your keyboard, the angle values update so that they are symmetrical.
- If you are not sure what Angle at Eave you should use, specif y 45. This is a good starting point, and you can make adjustments to this value at any time.
- Click the OK button to close the dialog and apply the specifications.
- To see your barrel ceiling in a 3D view, from the menu select 3D> Create Perspective View> Full Camera and click and drag within the room under the barrel ceiling.
- In Chief Architect X1 and prior, use 3D> Create Render View> Render Full Camera.