Using the Online Support Center
| Reference Number: KB-00717 Last Updated: 07-30-2014 09:20 AM
The information in this article applies to:
I need to submit a trouble ticket to the Chief Architect Technical Support Department. How can I do this?
The Online Support Center is a website that allows you to communicate securely and directly with a Chief Architect Technical Support Analyst and send or receive any plan, layout, or other files that the Analyst may need in order to best help you resolve your issue. It also gives you the opportunity you to review past technical support inquiries.
This article outlines how to do important tasks in the Online Support Center so that you can use it effectively:
Note: The sample images in this article show Internet Explorer. If you use a
different default web browser, some elements on the page may look
different - but the functionality will be the same.
To access the Online Support Center
- Select Help> Technical Support from the Chief Architect program menu.
- This should open your default web browser and bring you to the Support page on our web site.
- If security settings on your system block this, you can open your web browser yourself and visit our web site, http://www.chiefarchitect.com/, then click the Support Link at the top of the page.
- Click on the Contact Support and Customer Service heading to expand it.
- Scroll down and click on the Chief Architect Online Support Center link.
To register a new Online Support Center account
- Once you are at the Support Center Login page, click on Register New Account.
- Fill out the form with your registration information and click Submit.
- Confirm your email address and create a User Name and Password for the account. Write these down or back them up in a secure place for future use, then click Submit.
- You should receive the registration confirmation page. From here you can click on the click here link to login or you can open your email and click on the link provided in the email.
This e-mail message will have your login credentials in it, so you may want to back up this e-mail somewhere secure.
Back to top
To log in to an Online Support Center account
- Go to the Online Support Center login page using the method of your choice.
- Type in your Username and Password, then click the Login button.
- As soon as you are logged into your account, you can scroll down the page a bit and fill out the new ticket submission form.
In order to submit an Online Support Center ticket, all of the fields must be filled in.
If you plan to attach a file, you may want to prepare it first.
To submit a new ticket
- In the Subject field, type a short but descriptive summary of the problem you are having.
- Select the name and version of the Product that you are using from the drop-down list.
- If you are using an older program version and do not see it in the drop-down list, call our Customer Service department at 800-482-4433 to arrange a paid technical support incident. Or,
- Contact our Sales team to upgrade to the current version of the software.
- Type your software license Product Key in the Serial Number field.
- In the text field, type your question or a description of your issue in as much detail as possible:
- Include the exact wording or any error or warning messages that you are receiving.
- Provide detailed, step-by-step instructions on how to reproduce the message or incorrect functionality the program is exhibiting.
- If you suspect that the problem may be related to your system, be sure to include the version of Windows, video card, and any other relevant information on the computer.
- If you want to attach one or more files to your ticket, click the Browse or Choose File button below the text field.
- When you are finished, confirm that all fields are filled in and then click the Submit Ticket button at the bottom of the form.
Chief Architect Technical Support strives to answer all Online Support Center tickets within two business days; however, they are often able to answer a ticket within hours.
When your ticket is answered, you will receive an email letting you know. Simply log in at your convenience to read the reply. For more information, see To view your ticket history
Back to top
One of the benefits of using the Online Support Center to contact Chief Architect Technical Support is that you can attach files to your tickets, which are often very helpful for answering questions and troubleshooting problems.
To attach a file to an Online Support Center ticket
- If you want to attach a copy of a plan or layout to your ticket, use the Backup Entire Plan tool to save a copy of the file along with all associated image files in their own folder.
- After using Backup Entire Plan , save your work and exit out of Chief Architect.
- In Windows Explorer, browse to the location where the file you wish to attach is saved.
- In order to upload a folder, it must be zipped. Instructions for creating a zipped file are included in Using the Backup Entire Plan tool.
- We recommend compressing all large files before attaching them to make the upload process quicker, and to protect the integrity of the original file while it is being uploaded and downloaded.
- The file is now ready to be attached to your ticket. Click the Browse or Choose File button near the bottom of the form.
- In the Choose File to Upload dialog:
- Navigate to the location of the file you wish to attach to your ticket.
- Click on the name of the file to select it and click the Open button to attach it.
- Confirm that all fields in your Online Support Center are filled in and click the Submit Ticket button at the bottom of the form.
Back to top
If you cannot remember or have lost your login credentials to the Online Support Center then you can follow these simple steps to recover and reset your User Name and Password.
To recover your User Name and Password
- Go to the Online Support Center login page at http://support.chiefarchitect.com/,
- Click the forgot your password link:
- Enter in the email address that you registered the account with and click Submit.
- Open the email in your email Inbox and use the login credentials in that message to log into your account.
- When you log in using the temporary password provided, you will be directed to the Reset Password screen:
- Enter in the temporary password given to you in the email and then enter in a new password of your choosing.
- Click Change and your password will be reset.
- Keep your login information in a safe location so that you have them available when needed.
Back to top
To view your ticket history
- Go to the Online Support Center login page using the method of your choice and log in, as described above.
- Click the View Tickets link at the top right side of your Online Support Center account page.
- This will bring you to the Tickets page. Click on either the Ticket Number or the Subject of the ticket you wish to view.
- When you are in an active ticket, you can either:
- "Click here to accept the answer", which closes the ticket, or
- "Click here to post a reply", and type a new message to post in the ticket.
- You can also download any attachments that the Technical Analyst may have attached to the ticket for you.
- Remember: if you have a new, unrelated technical issue, you should create a new ticket. Do not ask new, unrelated questions in an old ticket.
Back to top