Defining the Page Setup for Printing
| Reference Number: KB-00725 Last Updated: 11-21-2014 08:20 AM
The information in this article applies to:
I want to set up my printer so that I get good results when printing from layout. How is this done?
For best results, it is recommended that you specify the desired Page Setup settings not only in your layout file, but in any associated plan files as well.
To adjust the Page Setup in your .plan file
- For each floor plan view, CAD Detail, and Cross Section/Elevation, set the drawing scale you will most likely use when printing by selecting File> Print> Drawing Sheet Setup from the menu
In previous versions click File> Print> Page Setup.
Note: The information in the Drawing Sheet (Page) Setup dialog is not only file specific - in a
given plan file, you can have different Page Setup settings for floor
plan view, each CAD Detail, and each Cross Section/Elevation view.
Set the Orientation and Size of your Drawing Sheet, then set the Drawing Scale to the scale you intend to print.
In most cases this will be 1/4 in = 1 ft for imperial plans and 1m = 50m for metric plans.
Once you have completed making any necessary changes in the Drawing Sheet Setup dialog, click OK to apply them
Select File> Print> Print Preview
to turn on the print preview display, to verify that the correct page size and orientation that you want have been accurately set.
To set the Page Setup in your .layout file
- Open the layout file you wish to set up and select File> Print> Drawing Sheet Setup from the menu.
- In previous versions click File> Print> Page Setup.
- Select the Drawing Sheet Size and Orientation.
- In previous versions you can choose your printer and the printer paper size in the Page Setup dialog. In X6, choose your printer when you are ready to print by using the Print dialog. In most cases, the Printer Paper and Drawing Sheet settings will be the same.
- Specify a Drawing Scale of 1 in = 1 in (or 1 mm = 1 mm).
Note: In the layout setup it is important to leave the drawing scale at 1 in =
1 in. This is because your drawing is scaled when sent over to the
layout and you will be printing this at the size already scaled.
- Click OK to close the dialog and apply your changes.
- Select File> Save from the menu to save your Page Setup information so that it's ready for you whenever you wish to print this layout.