Making a Custom Driveway Surface
| Reference Number: KB-00741 Last Updated: 07-30-2014 09:33 AM
The information in this article applies to:
I would like to design custom driveway with stained, stamped concrete. How can I do this?
You can create a unique design for your driveway using multiple terrain features and different materials from the library.
It is increasingly common to stamp a texture into concrete driveways, sidewalks and patios.
To customize a driveway material
- Select Terrain> Driveway> Straight Driveway from the menu, then click and drag to draw a rectangular terrain feature.
- Do not worry about the exact placement or shape of the driveway as you draw it: once it is created, it is fully editable.
- When the driveway is positioned and shaped as needed, select 3D> Create Perspective View> Perspective Full Overview from the menu to see the results.
- By default, driveways are assigned a grey concrete material. If you want to, you can select 3D> Material Painter> Material Painter from the menu to apply a new material.
- In the Select Library Objects dialog, browse the Materials library and select a new material for the driveway.
- Good candidates for driveway materials can be found in the Masonry & Stone and Landscaping categories. Brick, pavers and slate are among the textures that work well to represent stamped concrete.
- When you have found a material, click on it to select it, then click the OK button to close the dialog.
- In this example, Landscaping> Pavers> Basketweave Brick is used.
- When you move your cursor into the 3D view, it will display a spray can icon. Click on the driveway to apply the selected material to its surface.
Many concrete contractors offer a variety of concrete stains. To apply a color to a material such as concrete, use the Blend Colors with Materials tool.
To stain a concrete material
- With the 3D overview still active, navigate to 3D> Material Painter and make sure there is a checkmark beside Blend Colors with Materials . If there is not, select this item from the submenu.
- Select 3D> Material Painter> Material Painter from the menu.
- In the Select Library Object dialog, browse and select a solid color from the library.
- Solid colors are available in Materials> Colors.
- A selection of name brand paint colors are also available in the Manufacturers library category.
- When you have found a satisfactory color, select it and click the OK button to close the dialog.
- In this example, Materials> Colors> Generic Colors> White/Neutral> Color-Beige is used.
- When you move your cursor into the 3D view, it will display a paint roller icon.
Click on the driveway to apply the selected material to its surface. Instead of replacing the pavers material with the solid color, the two are blended.
A wide variety of driveway designs can be created by combining stamped patterns and stains. You can produce your own unique design using multiple Driveway objects.
To create a custom pattern
- Click the Window drop-down menu and select your plan's floor plan view from the bottom of the menu to return to that view.
- Select Terrain> Driveway> Straight Driveway from the menu, then click and drag a second driveway object inside the first.
- Select this second driveway and click the Open Object edit button. On the General panel of the Driveway Specification dialog, specify the Height as 1 1/16", then click OK. This will raise the top surface of this object above that of the larger Driveway so it can be clearly seen.
- Select the Window menu and return to your 3D overview to see the results.
- Use the Material Painter and/or Blend Colors with Materials tools to apply a custom material to this driveway object.
- Just as in floor plan view, you can edit the shape and position of the second Driveway in a 3D view using its edit handles.
- Repeat steps 1 through 5 as needed to create a custom pattern.
- You can now use these tools to create custom driveway surfaces for your own designs.