How to Edit Cabinet Shelves
| Reference Number: KB-00787 Last Updated: 11-10-2014 02:59 PM
The information in this article applies to:
How do I change the type, number, thickness, spacing and depth of the shelves inside of my cabinets, such as to create a bookshelf?
You can specify shelving in a cabinet and control shelf attributes such as number, depth, spacing and thickness from the Front tab of the cabinet's specification dialog.
To edit shelves inside cabinets
- Open the Chief Architect plan in which you would like to modify a cabinet, or create a new plan by selecting File> New Plan from the menu.
- To add a cabinet, select one of the cabinet tools from the Build> Cabinet menu, and click once in your plan to add a single cabinet.
For the purposes of this example, we will be using a Full Height cabinet.
- Using the Select Objects tool, click on the cabinet, then select the Open Object edit button to display the Full Height Cabinet Specification dialog.
- Select the Front tab and click on the upper door in the preview of the cabinet which displays on the right side of the dialog.
- Notice that the area in which you clicked becomes highlighted.
- If you wish, you can click the Delete button to delete this door, so that now a single door takes up the entirety of your cabinet front.
If you do not want a door at all, but just an open area with shelves, delete the extra door and change the remaing one to Opening under the Item Type.
- If you do want a door on your cabinet, but want to change the door style to something such as a glass front, click on the Library button located to the right of Door Style under the Door/Drawer tab.
Then, in the Select Library Object dialog, navigate to the door style you would like to use.
- With the front item still selected, on the Front tab, click the Specify Shelves button.
By default, cabinet shelves are specified automatically. The default number of shelves, shelf type, thickness, spacing, and depth display here.
- Notice that the shelves are numbered and there is a pointer for the Front of the cabinet for easy identification.
- Select the Manual radio button to specify cabinet shelving for the selected door or opening.
- The shelf type, thickness, spacing, and depth can be specified on a per shelf basis or for all shelves at once. To determine which, select the shelf number or All Shelves from the drop down list.
- Specify the shelf Type from the drop down list.
- Enter a shelf Thickness in fractions or decimals.
- Changing the Spacing From Previous unchecks Equal Spacing above.
- You can select Full, Half or Specify the shelf Depth manually.
- The preview drawing on the right shows shelf numbers, thickness, depth, and spacing.
Press the Tab key on your keyboard to update the preview as changes are made.
- Once you have finished editing your cabinet shelves, click OK to close the dialog and return to the Full Height Cabinet Specification dialog.
- Once you have completed editing any other desired features of your cabinet, click OK to exit the Full Height Cabinet Specification dialog, as well.
- To see the results, select 3D> Create Perspective View> Full Camera from the menu and click and drag a camera arrow directed at the cabinet.
In Chief Architect X1 and prior, use 3D> Create Render View> Render Full Camera
NOTE: If a cabinet is resized after shelving has been manually edited, the specifications are maintained, but all shelves may not be display in all situations.