Creating Custom Toolbar Configurations
| Reference Number: KB-00820 Last Updated: 11-10-2014 03:04 PM
The information in this article applies to:
I have customized my toolbars and would like to save my customizations and possibly use them on a different computer. How can I do this?
You can save changes that you make to the toolbars in Chief Architect by creating a custom Toolbar Configuration. Once created, Toolbar Configurations can be backed up, transferred to different computers, and shared with other program users.
To create a custom toolbar configuration
- Launch Chief Architect and open a new, blank plan.
- Select Tools> Toolbars> Customize Toolbars from the menu to open the Toolbar Customization dialog.
- On the Configurations panel of the dialog:
- Click on a configuration in the list that is most similar to the custom configuration that you would like to create.
- With a configuration selected, click the Copy button.
- In the Toolbar Configuration File dialog:
- Type a short, descriptive File name for your new configuration.
- Your new configuration is added to the Toolbar Configuration list and is also specified as the new active configuration.
- When you click the Close button, your new configuration will be in use.
- With your new toolbar configuration active, make any desired changes to the program toolbars.
- Existing toolbars can be moved so that they dock to the top, bottom or either side of the Chief Architect program window, or they can float within the view window.
- You can add or remove buttons on existing toolbars or create entirely new toolbars using the Customize Toolbars dialog. To learn how, visit the Create a Custom Toolbar article linked in the Related Articles section.
- You can customize the toolbars in all views - not just floor plan view.
- When you are satisfied with the organization of your toolbars, select File> Exit from the menu to close Chief Architect completely.
- Closing the program will save your changes to the toolbar configuration made during this program session in the .toolbar file created in step 4, above.
If you have made changes to an existing toolbar configuration, such as
the Default Configuration, it is a good idea to make a copy of it.
Creating a custom copy will help you protect your customizations should
you need to reinstall the program or restore your toolbar defaults.
To back up your custom toolbar configurations
Just as with custom libraries, template files and your projects, it is a good idea to make back-up copies of your custom toolbar configurations.
There are a number of ways that you can back up your data. For example, you can save it on a network server, usb flash drive type device, or burn it on a CD or DVD.
The Toolbars folder is in the Chief Architect Data folder located in your Documents directory. For example, for Chief Architect Premier X6 the Data folder is located here:
C:\Users\<your username>\Documents\Chief Architect Premier X6 Data\Toolbars