The information in this article applies to:
I need to model cabinets with frameless construction. How can I do this?
Frameless, or European style cabinets, are characterized by door and drawer fronts that cover the most or all of the cabinet front, narrow gaps between front items, and hidden hinges.
In Chief Architect X4 and newer products, cabinet Box Construction and Overlay settings give you greater control or your cabinet configurations than in previous program versions and allow you to specify frameless cabinets with greater accuracy. To learn more, see article the article on Creating Framless, Euro-style Cabinets linked in the Related Articles section.
In Chief Architect X3 and prior, though, you can also set up your cabinets to model this type of cabinet.
In many cases, it's best to design your cabinets in the Cabinet Defaults dialogs before you place any cabinets in your plan. You can, however, assign these specifications to any cabinet on an object by object basis in the Cabinet Specification dialog. In this example, we will modify a single cabinet.
To create frameless cabinets
- Open the plan in which you would like to create frameless European cabinets.
- Select Build> Cabinet> Base Cabinet from the menu, then click in the drawing area to place a base cabinet at that location.
- Click the Select Objects button, then click on the base cabinet to select it and click the Open Object edit button.
- On the Door/Drawer tab of the Base Cabinet Specification dialog:
- Select the desired Door and Drawer Styles. In this example, "Plain Doors" and "Plain Drawers" are used; however, there is a selection of European style doors and drawers available in the Library Browser.
- Specify the desired Side Overlap and Vertical Overlap distances. This is the amount each front item overlaps the stiles and separations - not the reveal between front items. In this example, 3/8" is used for the Side Overlap and for the Vertical Overlap.
- When making changes in the dialog, be sure to delete the (D), which stands for default. If you do not, these values will remain the same regardless of your changes.
- Specify the desired Door and Drawer Handle styles. A selection of styles are available in the Library Browser at Chief Architect Libraries> Architectural> Hardware> Cabinet Hardware.
- Depending on the handles you select, you may also want to adjust the In From Edge and Down from Top values.
- Specify "Hidden" as the Hinges style.
- On the Front tab:
- Specify the desired widths of the Separation, Left Stile, and Right Stile. In most cases, these three settings use the same value.
In this example, 3/4" is used. Remember to remove the (D) from the text fields if you are changing these to be something other than default.
- Click OK to close the dialog apply your changes.
To upgrade your older version program license and take advantage of the new cabinet Box Construction and Overlay settings, as well as other new and enhanced features, please visit: http://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/upgrade.html.