Specifying a Window's Energy Ratings
| Reference Number: KB-01074 Last Updated: 05-12-2014 08:16 AM
The information in this article applies to:
I typically choose windows with different performance ratings suited for the exact location where they will be placed. How can I assign this information to the windows in my drawing so it is included in the windows schedule?
You can add specific information about a window - such as its manufacturer, catalog code, and National Fenestration Rating Council (NFRC) label information - using the Components dialog.
To add information to a window's Components
- Open the plan in which you have windows that you want to add performance information to.
- Select Edit> Preferences from the menu and go to the Categories panel of the Preferences dialog.
- Click on Windows in the list of Categories.
- Click the Add button to create a new window subcategory.
- In the Subcategory dialog, type the name as it will be seen in the Materials List and in Windows Schedules.
- In this example, a subcategory for each of the five ratings categories found on the NFRC Label is created.
- Click the Select Objects button, then click on a window to select it and click the Components edit button.
- In the Components dialog:
- Click the Add button once for each new window subcategory that you wish to include in your Window Schedule. The new accessories will be added to the "Windows" category.
- Click in the Sub Category field for the first accessory, then click the drop-down arrow and select one of the available window subcategories.
- Click in the Description field and then type the information associated with the selected subcategory.
- If you want to use this information in a Window Schedule but do not want it listed as a line item in the Materials List, click in the Use column to remove the checkmark from the field.
- Repeat these three steps for each of the newly added accessories.
- When you are finished, click OK to close the dialog and apply your changes.
- With the window still selected, click the Add to Library edit button to save a copy of the window, along with its customized Components information, in the Library Browser for future use.
To create a window schedule
- Select CAD> CAD Detail Management from the menu. In the CAD Detail Management dialog:
- Click the New button.
- Type a short, descriptive name for the CAD Detail window where Window Schedules will be saved and click OK.
Note: CAD Detail windows are an excellent place to organize detail drawings,
schedules, legends, and other 2D information related to a project.
- With the new CAD Detail window active, select Tools> Schedules> Window from the menu, then click once to place a schedule at that location.
- Click the Select Objects button, then click on the schedule to select it and click the Open Object edit button. On the Text tab of the Window Schedule Specification dialog:
- Modify the selected window schedule's Title to describe its particular purpose.
- Check the boxes beside your new custom window subcategories in the list of Columns to Include.
- If there are any columns that you don't need in the schedule, uncheck the boxes beside those items.
The National Fenestration Rating Council
Energy Savers - Energy Performance Ratings for Windows, Doors, and Skylights
ENERGY STAR Residential Windows, Doors, and Skylights