Creating an Image for Use in a Brochure or on a Website
| Reference Number: KB-01142 Last Updated: 08-19-2014 03:39 PM
The information in this article applies to:
I want to post my plans portfolio on my website with some nice floor plan images. How can I create a 2D plan view with some rendered 3D characteristics?
One technique is to overlay a floor plan on top of a view of the 3D model.
To create the top down view of the model
- Select 3D> Create Orthographic View> Perspective Floor Overview to create the 3D view.
- Next, go to 3D> View Direction> Top View to orient the view.
- Click 3D> Rendering Techniques> Standard to show the material textures.
- Adjust the window size to be close fitting around the image so it is easier to resize later.
- Turn off layers for objects that you do not want to see by clicking Tools> Layer Settings> Display Options and removing the check-marks from those layers you do not want to display.
- Click 3D> Camera View Options> Final View to get a high quality image.
- Finally, select File> Export> Export Picture to save a picture file.
To place the picture file behind the plan
- In plan view, click Tools> Layer Settings> Display Options and turn off any layers in the plan view that are unnecessary to the end picture.
- Click File> Import> Import Picture to bring in the picture file that was exported in the previous section.
- Use the center edit handle to move the picture behind the plan.
- Use the side, corner and top edit handles to stretch the picture until the walls in the picture match the walls in the plan.
- If you have trouble placing the image precisely, hold down the Ctrl key on your keyboard to move more freely.
- On Mac use the Command key.
Rooms with darker floors will display the room label better if the color of the label is changed to white.
To modify room label attributes
- Using the Select Object tool, click on a room label to select it.
- Click Open Object to open the Room Label Specification dialog.
- You may receive an Information message telling you that the room label text can only be modified through the Room Specification dialog. Click OK on this message.
- Switch to the Text Style panel.
- By clicking the Use Custom Text Style option, it is possible to change all rooms labels at the same time by changing the Definition of the Text Style selected.
- By clicking the Use Custom Text Style option, it is possible to change just this one individual label.
Now you can export the image by clicking File> Export> Export Picture so you can add it to a brochure in another program.
Alternately, you can choose to print the image directly, or create a brochure layout and send the view to that using File> Send to Layout