Creating a Carport
| Reference Number: KB-01179 Last Updated: 09-16-2014 08:10 AM
The information in this article applies to:
I am wanting to add an attached carport to my shop or house. How do I go about creating that in Chief Architect?
You can create an attached carport very easily in Chief Architect. By following the instructions below, you'll learn how to create a carport in no time!
For the purposes of this article, we will use an existing 24' x 40' structure, with a Ceiling Height of 12'. The roof is a basic gable at a 6/12 pitch with the overhang
is set to 2 1/2", as in the image below.
Setting the Defaults
- Open the plan that has the basic existing structure already drawn and select Edit> Default Settings .
- In the Default Settings dialog, click on the plus [+] sign next to Walls to expand out this category.
- Select Deck Railing, to highlight it, then click on the Edit button to display the Deck Railing Defaults.
- On the Railing Tab, change the following information:
- Move the radio button No Rail
- Check the No Halfpost checkbox
- Check the Post to Ceiling checkbox
- On the Newels/Balusters tab, set the Newel Width to 4" and set the Newel Type to 144" O.C.
- Click OK on the Deck Railing Defaults window, then click Done on the Default Settings window.
- Go to the Build> Deck> Straight Deck Railing , then in a clockwise fashion, draw three deck railing walls attached to the left side of the existing structure, as in the image below.
- Select the left deck, and use the Temporary dimension that displays to set the railing 12' from the house.
: If you do not have temporary dimensions set to display, select CAD> Dimension> Display Temporary Dimensions
to toggle the feature back on.
- Using the Select Objects tool, select the newly created Deck room, then then click on the Open Object edit button to display the Room Specification dialog.
- On the General tab, use the Room Type drop down menu change the Deck in to a Slab room.
- On the Structure tab, uncheck Ceiling Over This Room and Roof Over This Room, then click OK.
Drawing the Carport Roof
- Using the Select Objects tool, click to select the existing main structure's left roof plane, then click the Open Object edit button to display the Roof Plane Specification dialog.
- On the General tab, write down the Fascia Top height (in this example, 150 5/16").
- On the Options tab, in the Supply category, uncheck the Gutter checkbox, then click OK to apply the change and close the Roof Plane Specification dialog.
- Next, select Build> Roof> Roof Plane , and click and drag out a roof plane along the left wall of the carport, as shown in the image below.
- Release the mouse button, then select the Roof Plane and use its edit handles to resize the roof plane until it completely covers the carport.
- With the Roof Plane still selected, click on the Open Object edit button to display the Roof Plane Specification dialog.
- On the General tab, set the Ridge Top height to the height of the Fascia Top height recorded earlier (150 5/16" in this example), then click OK to apply this change and close the dialog.
- Finally, let's select 3D> Create Perspective View> Full Overview to see the results.
Article Number 598: How to create a post and beam structure