Creating a Custom Cabinet Symbol
| Reference Number: KB-01192 Last Updated: 10-09-2014 11:26 AM
The information in this article applies to:
I need to create a custom sink base cabinet for use in an accessibility bathroom. How can I accomplish this task in Chief Architect?
We can create custom cabinet symbols in Chief Architect using primitives and solids.
Designing the cabinet box
To get the shape of our cabinet box to look the way we want, we will start with our CAD tools and design a precise profile for our accessibility cabinet.
- Start by opening a New Plan .
- Select 3D> Create Orthographic View> Cross Section/Elevation from the menu, and draw an elevation from Right to Left.
- While in this elevation view select CAD> Lines> Draw Line and draw the shape shown below.
- Once you have closed the shape, Select the polyline and click the Convert Polyline edit button to open the Convert Polyline dialog.
- Select Polyline Solid and click OK.
- The Polyline Solid Specification dialog will appear:
- Under the General panel set the thickness to 24".
- Under the Materials panel, change the material to Color - Blue.
- Now Close the Elevation to return to Floor Plan view.
- Select the Polyline Solid and click the Convert to Solid edit button to convert the Polyline Solid to a generic shape.
- Select Build> Primitive> Box and draw a box inside the top of the cabinet box, leaving some space for the sides. In this example we are leaving 1/4" on all sides and we will also Open the box and set the Z Position to 80" and the Height to 7".
- Now open a 3D Perspective view of the cabinet box.
- Select the cabinet box and click the Solid Subtraction edit button and then click on the box to subtract it from the top of the cabinet.
Adding the drawer front
- Close the 3D Perspective view.
- Draw a new box in front of the cabinet box and Open it.
- Set the Height to 6", the Width to 23", and the material to Color - Red, then click OK.
- With the box still selected click the Explode Shape edit button.
- Using the Select Objects tool, drag a selection marquee around the back and side faces, excluding the front face, then click the Delete edit button.
- Drag the face into the outer edge of the cabinet box.
- Now open an elevation of the front of the cabinet and drag the drawer front into position.
Converting our box to a cabinet
- Open a 3D view of our cabinet.
- Select File> Export> Export 3D Model(DWG,DXF) from the menu.
- Check the option for Use Material Names as Layers and use the Scaling unit: to in and click Export....
- After exporting the file select File> Import> Import 3D Symbol (DWG,DXF,OBJ,3DS,STL,SKP,DAE) from the menu and browse to then open the exported DWG.
- Choose the Cabinet category and check both options for Add Symbol To Library and Show Advanced Options then click OK.
- Under the General panel set the Origin to 0,0,0.
- Under the Cabinet panel select the Color - Red and change the Component Type to Drawer.
- Click OK.
The cabinet symbol can now be accessed from your User Catalog in the library browser. You may need to adjust it's height off the floor once placed in the plan to match the current height of your other cabinets.