Creating a Foundation Room with a Lowered Floor
| Reference Number: KB-01236 Last Updated: 09-27-2013 01:56 PM
The information in this article applies to:
My current project calls for a wine cellar in the basement with a floor that is lower than the rest of the foundation. How can I do this?
A basement room can have a lowered floor height just like a room on any other floor.
To create a basement room with a lowered floor
- Open the plan file in which you would like to create a basement room with a lowered floor.
- In this example, a simple rectangular structure is used. The ceiling height is 96".
- Select Build> Wall> Foundation Wall from the menu, then click and drag to draw walls that create the room that will have a lowered floor.
- Click the Select Objects button, then click inside of the room to select it and click the Open Object edit button.
- On the Structure tab of the Room Specification dialog:
- In this example, the Floor (C) value is dropped a total of 24", to -132 5/8".
- Select Build> Wall> Straight Interior Wall , then click and drag to draw any additional interior walls that you may need.
- Only walls that define changes in height in the foundation need to be foundation walls with concrete or CMU materials and footings.
To add stairs outside of the lowered room
- Select Build> Wall> Straight Railing from the menu, then click and drag to draw a room at the location where you want to add stairs to the lowered room.
- Click the Select Objects button, then click inside of the staircase room to select it and click the Open Object edit button.
- On the Structure tab of the Room Specification dialog, specify the same floor height as you did for the room with the lowered floor - in this example, -132 5/8".
- Select Build> Stairs> Click Stairs from the menu, then click inside of the staircase room that you just created, near the railing that you want the stairs to build up to.
- Click on the stairs to select them, then adjust their width as needed using the edit handles.
- With the stairs still selected, click the Open Object editbutton and on the Newels/Balusters tab of the Staircase Specification dialog, specify what sides of the stairs you would like to have Railing On, then click OK.
- Select Build> Door> Hinged Door from the menu, then click to place a door between the room with the lowered floor and the staircase room.