Creating a Foundation Room with a Lowered Floor
| Reference Number: KB-01236 Last Updated: 10-10-2014 01:05 PM
The information in this article applies to:
My current project calls for a wine cellar in the basement with a floor that is lower than the rest of the foundation. How can I do this?
A basement room can have a lowered floor height just like a room on any other floor.
To create a basement room with a lowered floor
- Open the plan file in which you would like to create a basement room with a lowered floor.
- In this example, a simple rectangular structure is used. The ceiling height is 96".
- Select Build> Wall> Straight Foundation Wall from the menu, then click and drag to draw walls that create the room that will have a lowered floor.
- Click the Select Objects button, then click inside of the room to select it and click the Open Object edit button.
- On the Structure panel of the Room Specification dialog:
- In this example, the Floor (C) value is dropped a total of 24", to -132 5/8".
- Select Build> Wall> Straight Interior Wall , then click and drag to draw any additional interior walls that you may need.
- Only walls that define changes in height in the foundation need to be foundation walls with concrete or CMU materials and footings.
To add stairs outside of the lowered room
- Select Build> Railing and Deck > Straight Railing from the menu, then click and drag to draw a room at the location where you want to add stairs to the lowered room.
- Click the Select Objects button, then click inside of the staircase room to select it and click the Open Object edit button.
- On the Structure panel of the Room Specification dialog, specify the same floor height as you did for the room with the lowered floor - in this example, -132 5/8".
- Select Build> Stairs> Click Stairs from the menu, then click inside of the staircase room that you just created, near the railing that you want the stairs to build up to.
Click on the stairs to select them, then adjust their width as needed using the edit handles.
- With the stairs still selected, click the Open Object edit button and on the Newels/Balusters panel of the Interior Staircase Specification dialog, specify what sides of the stairs you would like to have Railing On, then click OK.
- Select Build> Door> Hinged Door from the menu, then click to place a door between the room with the lowered floor and the staircase room.
- Take a Perspective Full Camera view to see the results.