The information in this article applies to:
How can I add a cutout or niche to my wall?
In this article you will learn how to add a niche to a wall. A niche is a cutout that is normally used as a shelf or display area built directly into a wall.
For this example we will add a niche to an interior wall in the center of a 4-wall structure.
To make a niche
1. Click Build> Window> Pass-Thru and place the pass-thru on the wall.
2. Use Open Object to view the Window Specification dialog and establish your height and width under the General Tab.
3. Under the Casing tab suppress the Exterior and Interior casing.
4. Under the Lintel & Sill tab disable the Interior and Exterior Sill.
The result will be a pass-thru in the middle of the wall, as shown in the image below.
To fill the pass-thru
- Click Build> Cabinet> Soffit and place two soffits back-to-back inside the opening.
- These soffits need to be just bigger than the opening in height and width.
Now we have sealed the opening on both sides.
- You can use the Eyedropper and Material Painter to change the color of each soffit to match.
Note: To add the arch shown in this example open the pass-thru and select the type of arch you want under the Arch tab of the Window Specification dialog.
The result is a niche that can be customized to match your room.