Sending a Color Elevation View to Layout
| Reference Number: KB-01270 Last Updated: 10-13-2014 01:55 PM
The information in this article applies to:
Whenever I send an elevation view to layout, it loses all of its color. How can I send a color elevation view to layout?
An elevation view can display in color on the layout page if you send it to layout twice: once as a scaled, dynamic view, and once as a static, unscaled image.
To send a scaled elevation view to layout
- Open the plan file that you'd like to send a color elevation view to layout from, and then open the layout file.
- In the plan file, open the saved elevation view you would like to send to layout in color or create a new Cross Section/Elevation view.
- With the elevation view open, select File> Send to Layout from the menu.
- In the Send to Layout dialog:
- Specify the desired Scale for the view.
- Specify the Layout Page Number that you want the view sent to.
- Click OK.
- Using the Move Handles, crop the view size of the image down as close to the edge of the structure as possible as this will allow for better placement of the color image. We will adjust it later to reveal any annotations, etc.
- With the Elevation view still selected click Open Object to get the Layout Box Specification dialog. make note of the Height and Width. Click OK.
To send a color elevation view to layout
- Return to the plan file elevation view. If the view has any dimension lines, text or other annotations, select Tools> Layer Settings> Display Options from the menu and turn off their display.
- Select File> Export> Export Picture (BMP, JPG, PNG) .
- Drag a selection box around the area you want to send to layout, trying to make this match as best as possible with the previously cropped layout image.
Note: To help match the selection sizes, use Windows> Tile Vertically to compare both Plan and Layout views
- Type a name and choose where to save the file then click Save.
- Return to the Layout window, click File> Import> Import Picture (BMP, JPG, PNG) browse to the location the picture file was saved, select it, and press Open.
- Select the Layout image, click Open Object to view the Picture File Box Specification dialog, specify the Height and Width with the values notated earlier..
Note: If the image is covering the layout, making it difficult to select, click Select Next Object button on the Edit toolbar to cycle those the objects occupying the same space.
- Choose a spot on your image that will be easy to align, such as a corner or other defining feature. Use the Zoom tool to get a close view of the area.
Make any necessary adjustments
- Select the Image, click the Pt to Pt Move edit button, click on a defining feature of the image, then click again on the corresponding spot on the Layout Box.
- Click Window> Fill Window to return to view the full layout.
- Pull the Layout Box handles out as necessary so any annotations are visible, etc.
Be aware that if you make changes to the model that affects the view in question, the scaled view can be updated on the layout page but the image cannot. If this happens, you will need to delete the image and send a new, updated image.