How to Create Frameless, Euro-style Cabinets
| Reference Number: KB-01365 Last Updated: 07-22-2014 07:41 AM
The information in this article applies to:
I need to model cabinets with frameless construction. How can I do this?
Frameless, or European style cabinets, are characterized by door and drawer fronts that cover the most or all of the cabinet front, narrow gaps between front items, and hidden hinges.
You can easily set up your cabinets in Chief Architect to model this type of cabinet.
In many cases, it's best to design your cabinets in the Cabinet Defaults dialogs before you place any cabinets in your plan. You can, however, assign these specifications to any cabinet on an object by object basis in the Cabinet Specification dialog. In this example, we will modify a single cabinet.
To create frameless cabinets
- Open the plan in which you would like to create frameless European cabinets.
- Select Build> Cabinet> Base Cabinet from the menu, then click in the drawing area to place a base cabinet at that location.
- Click the Select Objects button, then click on the base cabinet to select it and click the Open Object edit button.
- On the General tab of the Base Cabinet Specification dialog:
- Set the Countertop Thickness and Overhang if necessary.
If desired, Flat Sides and Flat Back can also be set here.
- On the Front tab:
- Under Box Construction, select Frameless.
- Under Door/Drawer Overlay, depending on your style preference you can select either Inset or Full Overlay and specify the desired Reveal.
- On the Door/Drawer tab:
- Select the desired Door and Drawer Styles. In this example, "Plain Doors" and "Plain Drawers" are used, however, there is a selection of European style doors and drawers available in the Library Browser.
- Specify the desired Door and Drawer Handle styles. A selection of styles are available in the Library Browser under Chief Architect Libraries> Architectural> Hardware> Cabinet Hardware. Depending on the handles you select, you may also want to adjust the In From Edge and Down from Top values.
- Specify "Hidden" as the Hinges style.
- Click OK to close the dialog apply your changes.