How to Create a Curtain Wall
| Reference Number: KB-01810 Last Updated: 07-09-2014 02:14 PM
The information in this article applies to:
How can I create a commercial front with a curtain wall in Chief Architect?
A curtain wall is an exterior wall that encloses the space within but is not load-bearing. Often, the term "curtain wall" specifically refers to glass walls such as those found on store fronts. Curtain walls are typically used on commercial buildings; however, they also have residential applications - for example, sunrooms or indoor swimming pools.
This article will explain how to create a simple curtain wall with a commercial awning in Chief Architect. We will start out with a simple single story office which has a parapet roof.
To create the curtain wall
- First, we will set up our default settings by selecting Edit> Default Settings . Select Plan from the category list and click Edit.
Check the Ignore Casing for Opening Resize checkbox and click OK to return to the Default Settings dialog.
- Next, select Window and click Edit to display the Window Defaults.
Change the Minimum Separation value to 0", click OK, then Done on the Default Settings dialog.
- If you haven't already, draw a wall then place a window and modify it to your preference. Don't worry about the exact placement at this time.
For the purposes of this example, we will use the following specifications:
- Change the Window Type to Fixed Glass.
- Width of 60", Height of 107", and Floor to Top of 107".
- Both interior and exterior casings and sills supressed.
- Once you have placed the window, go to 3D> Create Orthographic View> Cross Section/Elevation and create an elevation of the front of the building.
- Finally, select the first window and move it to butt against the left-most edge of the wall, then click Multiple Copy , Multiple Copy Interval , and set the General Objects Primary Offset to match the width of our windows, for this example: 60". Then, click and drag the window to the right, to create enough copies to span your wall.
In this example, our structure is roughly 60' long, so we will be creating a total of 10 windows, 5 on either side of the main door way.
To add an awning and other details
- Place a glass door, then select Library> Library Browser and navigate to a commercial awning from the Chief Architect Bonus Catalog.
- Place the awning into position and that completes the curtain wall.
Please see the More Information section below for links to articles that show you how to use custom Columns and Pillars, and create Atrium Windows, as shown in this example.
How to create a breezeway
How to create a flat roof