Transferring Images and PDF Plan Sets to my iPad
| Reference Number: KB-01896 Last Updated: 09-08-2014 01:32 PM
The information in this article applies to:
I would like to put images and PDF files of my Chief Architect plans on my iPad so that my clients can view them. How can I accomplish this task?
Although Chief Architect cannot run on an iPad directly, you can export images of your renderings, ray traces, or floor plans and place them in Photos on your iPad. You can also transfer files you have printed to PDF, such as plan sets created from your layouts, into your iBooks.
Before you begin, in order to transfer your files easily to your iPad, you will want to download and install iTunes from Apple's website on to your Chief Architect computer, if you haven't already.
Once iTunes is installed, add the Books option so that it is visible on the left of your iTunes window under Library.
To add Books
- In iTunes, select Edit> Preferences to display the General Preferences.
- In the General section, under Sources, place a checkmark in the Books option.
- Click OK, and you will now see Books displayed under the Library.
Next, within Windows, you'll create two folders in an easy to find location, such as Documents. One of these folders will be for our images and the other is for pdf files that you will be copying over to the iPad.
If you are unfamiliar with exporting images, or creating PDF files, please review these additional online Help Database articles first.
Article Number 110: How to export a picture file
Article Number 768: How to print to a PDF document
If you already have existing images, or pdf plan sets, that you want to put on the iPad, choose to Copy and Paste these in to the new folders in Documents that you have created for them.
Now you are ready to copy the files to your iPad, and you will start with the PDF plan set files.
To copy the PDF files from your computer to the iPad
- Connect your iPad to the computer, and once it is recognized by Windows, select the Start button and click on Computer. Notice that under Portable Devices, the Apple iPad is listed.
- Now that your iPad has been connected, launch iTunes if it is not already open, and select Books along the left side under Library.
- Within Windows, navigate to the folder that has your PDF files in it, and select all of the PDF files that you want to import in to Books.
- Once selected, click and drag the files over in to the iTunes Books window, and wait while the files are copied over.
- Next, within iTunes, select File> Sync.
- Once your iTunes is synched, you can click on the iBooks icon on your Apple iPad to see the available PDF files.
- Select a PDF file to view it, and you can scroll through the available pages in the file.
Now that you understand how to put PDF files such as plan sets on to the iPad, you are ready to sync our image files.
To copy the image files from your computer to the iPad
- In iTunes, select your device on the left side, and then click on Photos.
- Place a checkmark in Sync Photos from, then use the drop-down menu to select Choose Folder.
- Navigate to your iPad Images folder in Documents that you copied your picture files in to, and click Select Folder.
- Next, click the Apply button.
- Once iTunes has finished synching the folder containing your images, on the iPad, you can select the Photos option, to see all of the available images.
- Select an image to see it larger on the screen to show off to your clients.