Chief Architect Help Database - Article Number: 1184
How to Manually Create a Box WindowThe information in this article applies to:
- Chief Architect X5
- Chief Architect X4
- Chief Architect X3
How can I manually create a box window?
Manually creating a box window in Chief Architect is easy to accomplish.
Starting a new plan
- First, launch Chief Architect and select File> New Plan .
- Next, select Build> Wall> Straight Exterior Wall , then click and drag out a basic enclosed four-wall rectangular structure.
Creating the bumpout
- Next, create a small bumpout, as shown in the image below.
- Select the small bumpout "room" and click on the Open Object edit tool to display the Room Specification dialog.
- On the Structure tab, increase the Floor Height to 24" and lower the Finished Ceilng Height to 78 1/2".
You may also want to specify the Ceiling Finish and Floor Finish materials for the bumpout room.
- Next, go to the Moldings tab, uncheck Default, then click Delete to remove the Base Molding, and click OK to close the dialog and apply these changes.
Once you have finished making changes to the bumpout room
- Select Build> Door> Doorway , then click and place a doorway in the inner portion of the bumpout.
- Select the Doorway and click on the Open Object edit tool to display its Specification dialog, and on the Casing tab, check Suppress Interior Casing.
- On the Label tab, check Suppress Label, then click OK.
- Increase the size of the doorway so that it extends the length of the bumpout
- Select Build> Window> Window and click in front of the bumpout wall to place a window.
- Finally, take a 3D Camera view to see the results.
Now you are ready to take what you learned in this article, and apply it to your own designs.
Article Number 508: How do I create a bay, bow or box window?
Article Number 448: How to modify a component window in an automatic bay, bow or box window unit
Last updated on: Mar 29, 2013