Chief Architect Help Database - Article Number: 119
How to Automatically Create a Saltbox RoofThe information in this article applies to:
- Chief Architect X5
- Chief Architect X4
- Chief Architect X3
- Chief Architect X2
- Chief Architect X1
I need to create a Saltbox style of roof in my Chief Architect plan where I have a long pitch roof that slopes down to the back, which creates a single story in the back, and two stories in front. How can I create this?
To create a basic salt box style of roof, follow these instructions
- First, launch your Chief Architect software program and start a new, blank plan using the Default template.
- Select Build> Wall> Straight Exterior Wall and click and drag out 4 walls to create a basic 40'x30" structure.
- Use the Select Objects tool to click on the left 30' wall and choose the Open Object edit tool to display this wall's specification dialog.
- Go to the Roof tab and place a check mark in the Full Gable Wall option.
- Click OK to apply this change.
- Follow the same procedure for the opposite wall.
- Select Build> Floor> Build New Floor and choose to Derive new 2nd Floor plan from 1st floor plan.
- On the second story, follow the same procedure for setting the two vertical walls to Full Gable.
- Move the top horizontal 40' wall in so that its distance from the opposing bottom horizontal wall goes from 30' down to 20'
- With this wall still selected, click the Open Object edit tool to display its specification dialog.
- Go to the Roof tab and place a check mark in the Knee Wall box.
Check Knee Wall to define the selected interior wall as a knee wall. Only an interior wall can be defined as a knee wall.
A knee wall’s height is defined by the roof above, not the ceiling height.
- If you are not using a template that already has the Auto Rebuild Roofs option checked, then you will need to select Build> Roof> Build Roof , and click OK to rebuild the roof planes to reflect the changes that you have made.
- Take a 3D Camera view to see the results.
Last updated on: Mar 28, 2013