Chief Architect Help Database - Article Number: 1209
Message: This plan cannot be opened. It was written by a newer version of the program than you are currently running.The information in this article applies to:
- All Home Designer programs
- All Chief Architect programs
When I try to open a file that was given to me by another party, this Warning message appears:
Warning: This plan cannot be opened. It was written by a newer version of the program than you are currently running. You may want to check for and install any available program updates.
Why can't I open this file?
A given version of Chief Architect can open files created in that version, and also in previous versions. It cannot, however, open a file created in a more recent version of the software.
For example, Chief Architect X4 can open files created in version X4 or version X3 - but it cannot open files created in version X5.
If you are encountering this Warning message when you try to open a particular file, then the file was created in a version of the software that is newer than the version you have.
You may be able to resolve the issue by downloading and installing the latest program update for your software:
- Chief Architect Program Updates: http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/updates.html
- Home Designer Program Updates: http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/updates.html
If running the latest update does not help, you may want to consider upgrading your software license to the latest program version:
- Chief Architect: http://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/upgrade.html
- Home Designer: http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/discounts/
Last updated on: Feb 07, 2013