Chief Architect Help Database - Article Number: 1264
How to Design a Custom Drop-in Tub EnclosureThe information in this article applies to:
- Chief Architect X5
- Chief Architect X4
I need to create a tub deck surround for a manufacturer's symbol I found. How can I achieve this?
In Chief Architect you have the ability to import a custom 3D symbol from an outside source.
In this example we will be importing a tub from Kohler and using it as a drop-in tub for our bathroom.
To create the surround
The surround in this example is a simple base cabinet that will be modified to fit our tub.
- Place a base cabinet in your plan and select it, and click Open Object to give it the following dimensions:
>> Height: 24"
>> Width: 72"
>> Depth: 36"
- Under Toe Kick of the Cabinet Specification dialog, specify a Height of 0".
- On the Front tab, delete the drawer, and replace the doors with panels.
- Now check the option for Triple Face.
Now that we have setup our base cabinet we are ready to import our tub and add it to the cabinet.
To add the tub
- Click File> Import> 3D Symbol (3DS,OBJ,SKP,DWF,DXF)... .
- Choose the file you want to import.
In this example we are importing a 3D DXF from the Kohler website.
- Check the box beside Show Advanced Options, change the symbol category to Fixture (Interior) and click Open.
- When the import finishes you should be presented with the Symbol Specification dialog.
- Under the 3D tab check Specify Origin and type -20" for the Z value and 0" for X and Y. This is will cause the tub to sink 1 inch into our countertop.
- Under the Options tab check Inserts Into Countertop and click OK.
- Now simply click on the base cabinet to place the new symbol and take a 3D view (3D> Create Perspective View> Full Camera ) to examine the results.
Last updated on: Mar 29, 2013