Chief Architect Help Database - Article Number: 214
Troubleshooting Installation ProblemsThe information in this article applies to:
- Chief Architect X5
- Chief Architect X4
- Chief Architect X3
- Chief Architect X2
I'm having trouble installing Chief Architect. What can I do to get this to work?
Before following the steps outlined in this article, please first check to ensure that the version of the software that you are trying to install is compatible with the operating system that you are attempting to install it on to and that it meets the System Requirements.
Article Number 27: What operating systems does Chief Architect run on?
Most install problems are caused by other programs or services running in the background. Often these programs or services are factory installed and can cause install problems even on new computers.
Follow the instructions in each section in order. Be sure to follow the last section to restore your system after the install is complete.
Warning: When using Microsoft Windows, you must be logged in to Windows as a user with sufficient privileges. Contact your network administrator if you are unsure about your user rights.
To disable additional programs and services
- Close all programs and return to your Windows Desktop.
- Click on the Windows Start button to open the Start menu. In the search field type msconfig and press Enter.
- Under the General tab of the System Configuration window choose Selective startup and uncheck Load startup items.
- Go to the Services tab, check Hide all Microsoft services, and click Disable all.
- Click Apply then OK.
- When prompted, click Restart.
After your system restarts attempt the download and installation again. If you do not have any success try the next method in this article.
If Auto Play fails to run correctly, follow these steps to run setup directly from the program DVD.
If you have a software download, you can skip these next steps and go directly to the section on restoring your system to its original configuration.
To install directly from the program DVD
- Insert the Chief Architect software CD or DVD into the CD or DVD drive.
- If Auto Play starts, choose to Exit this window without installing but leave the disk in the drive.
- Click the Start button and choose Computer from the Start Menu.
- In the Computer window, right-click the DVD and choose Install or run program from your media.
- Now follow the prompts from the Setup Wizard to finish installing the program.
To restore your system to its original configuration
- Close all programs and return to the Windows Desktop.
- Click the Windows Start button and select the searchbox.
- In the search box, type msconfig press Enter.
- On the General tab of the System Configuration dialog, choose Normal startup and click OK.
- When prompted to restart your computer, click Restart.
If you are having difficulty installing a password version of Chief Architect, see article 251 in this database: How to install, activate and deactivate a password version of Chief Architect.
For more information on clean booting Windows, please refer to the following Microsoft® Knowledge Base articles.
- How to perform a clean boot procedure to determine whether background programs are intefering with a game or a program that you currently use
- How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista
- How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP
- How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
If you continue to have difficulty installing please contact Chief Architect Technical Support for more assistance.
Last updated on: Apr 03, 2013