Chief Architect Help Database - Article Number: 349
How to Use the Build House WizardThe information in this article applies to:
- Chief Architect X5
- Chief Architect X4
- Chief Architect X3
- Chief Architect X2
How do I use the Build House Wizard to lay out a new floor plan?
The Build House Wizard feature allows you to start a new floor plan by creating and arranging 2D room boxes and then converting these boxes into the walls of a floor plan.
To start the house wizard
- From the menu click Tools> House Wizard> Start House Wizard.
- The wizard will prompt you for the style and size of house desired, and will allow you to create rooms and arrange them as you like. The wizard will prompt you to enter the number of floors you want, the types of rooms you want, (including a garage) and it will specify these by floor.
- After using the wizard to create your initial structure, you can add individual rooms and modify your existing house. These rooms can also be arranged to form a complete house if you are dissatisfied with the one generated by the wizard.
- Adding individual rooms is simple: From the menu select Tools> House Wizard and click on the type of room you want to add to the plan. By clicking on the plan, you will be able to add the room of your choice in the location of your choice.
- Once all of the rooms you need for your home are on the plan, they can be moved and resized as needed. To move a room, click once on the room and select it. A red dot will appear in the center of the room. Position the mouse over this red dot. If correctly positioned, the mouse pointer will change to a cross hair with arrows pointing in four directions. Click and hold the left mouse button. Drag the room to the desired position and release the button to position the room. To resize the room, click on one of the side handles and drag it to enlarge or reduce the size of the room.
- Try and place the rooms so their sides just touch. Small gaps or overlaps are OK. Placing a smaller room completely inside of a larger room is also acceptable. If two rooms overlap, the smaller will take its space from the larger.
- If you want to delete a room, follow this procedure: To remove an unused room after completing the Build House Wizard, click once on the room to select it. Next, press the Delete button on the keyboard.
- After the rooms are positioned, correctly sized and you have finished arranging them, from the menu select Tools> House Wizard> Build House on each floor that you have completed the house wizard. This will convert the room boxes into walls and rooms.
- Take a Perspective Floor Overview to see the results.
- By selecting Build> Wall> Exterior Wall or Interior Wall you can create new walls or modify existing walls and manually define your plan.
- This option allows you to directly modify the floor plan by drawing walls and defining features manually, even though the plan was originally created using the Build House Wizard. This type of manual modification should only be used after the room boxes have been converted to rooms and walls, as per step five.
Last updated on: Feb 19, 2013