Chief Architect Help Database - Article Number: 623
How to Group-select ObjectsThe information in this article applies to:
- Chief Architect X5
- Chief Architect X4
- Chief Architect X3
- Chief Architect X2
- Chief Architect X1
I have selected a number of objects in my drawing using the Shift+click method, and all are now highlighted. How do I de-select just one of these objects, while leaving the remainder of them selected?
In Chief Architect, groups of objects can be selected at once using the Shift key on your keyboard. When a number of items have been group-selected using this Shift+click method, a single item within the group can be unselected by holding down the Shift key on your keyboard and clicking on that item.
To shift+select objects
- Open a Chief Architect plan in which you would like to group select objects. In this example, four base cabinets are used.
- Click on the Select Objects tool and click on one of the cabinets to select it.
- When it is highlighted, hold down the Shift key on your keyboard and click on the each of the remaining cabinets until all are selected.
- A marquee will display around the selected objects, and will expand to include each object added to the group.
To shift+drag to select objects
- Click on the Select Objects tool.
- Click and drag a grey rectangular selection marquee around the objects you would like to select.
- When you release the mouse button, the objects within the selection marquee will be selected as a group.
Hint: You can limit a group-selection to a single type of object by selecting the tool used to create that object instead of the Select Objects tool, then drawing a selection marquee around the objects.
For example, to group-select wall cabinets only, select Build> Cabinet> Wall Cabinet from the menu, then hold down the Shift key and drag a selection marquee around an area in your plan. When you complete the marquee, only wall cabinets will be selected.
This method works for all objects except for walls and wall openings such as doors, windows and fireplaces created in walls.
To deselect a single item from a group
- With all of the cabinets selected, hold down the Shift key on your keyboard and click on one of the selected cabinets.
- This single cabinet will become deselected. It will no longer be highlighted, while the other cabinets remain selected and highlighted.
For information about group-selecting an entire plan, or portions of that plan, see article #284 in this database: How to make a mirror image of a plan, or article #698: How can I use Edit Area to edit an irregularly shaped are?
Last updated on: Mar 29, 2013