Chief Architect Help Database - Article Number: 725
How to Define your Page Setup to PrintThe information in this article applies to:
- Chief Architect X5
- Chief Architect X4
- Chief Architect X3
- Chief Architect X2
- Chief Architect X1
I want to set up my printer so that I get good results when printing from layout. How is this done?
For best results, it is recommended that you specify the desired Page Setup settings not only in your layout file, but in any associated plan files as well.
To set the Page Setup in your .plan file
- For each floor plan view, CAD Detail, and Cross Section/Elevation, set the drawing scale you will most likely use when printing by selecting File> Print> Page Setup from the menu.
Note: The information in the Page Setup dialog is not only file specific - in a given plan file, you can have different Page Setup settings for floor plan view, each CAD Detail, and each Cross Section/Elevation view.
Set the Drawing Scale to the scale you intend to print.
In most cases this will be 1/4 in = 1 ft for imperial plans and 1m = 50m for metric plans.
Once you have completed making any necessary changes in the Page Setup dialog, click OK to apply them.
Select File> Print> Print Preview to turn on the print preview display, to verify that the correct page size and orientation that you want have been accurately set.
To set the Page Setup in your .layout file:
- Open the layout file you wish to set up and select File> Print> Page Setup from the menu.
- In the Page Setup dialog for the layout, select the printer by clicking on the Printer... button.
- Once you have chosen the printer that you wish to use for this layout, select the Printer Paper Size and Orientation.
- Finally select the Drawing Sheet Size and Orientation. In most cases, the Printer Paper and Drawing Sheet settings will be the same.
- Specify a Drawing Scale of 1 in = 1 in (or 1 mm = 1 mm).
Note: In the layout setup it is important to leave the drawing scale at 1in = 1in. This is because your drawing is scaled when sent over to the layout and you will be printing this at the size already scaled.
- Click OK to close the dialog and apply your changes.
- Select File> Save from the menu to save your Page Setup information so that it is ready for you whenever you with to print this layout.
If you use the same Page Setup information in all layout files, save it as part of your Layout Template. To learn more, see How to create and use a layout template.
Last updated on: Mar 29, 2013