Chief Architect Help Database - Article Number: 953
How to Import a Group of SymbolsThe information in this article applies to:
- Chief Architect X5
- Chief Architect X4
- Chief Architect X3
- Chief Architect X2
I have a folder full of 3D symbols and would like to import them into Chief Architect. Is there a way to import them as a group, or do I have to do it one symbol at a time?
More than one symbol can be imported into the library at a time provided that the following requirements are met:
- The symbols are located in the same folder on your computer.
- Multiple symbols can only be imported using the Import 3D Symbol dialog.
If you try to drag and drop group-selected files in Windows Explorer, only the file that was selected first is imported.
- When imported as a group, symbols must be assigned to the same symbol category.
If you wish to assign them to different categories, they must be imported separately.
Symbols that are imported as a group are assigned names based on their original file names with the file extension omitted.
There are several ways to select multiple files in the Import 3D Symbol dialog:
- Click on the first one, hold down the Shift key, then click on another file. The two files plus all files in between are selected.
- To select multiple files individually, click on one, hold down the Ctrl key, then click on additional files. Only the files you click on are selected.
- To select all files in the directory, click on one and press Ctrl + A. Only do this if you wish to import all files in the folder.
3D symbols that can be imported into Chief Architect are available from a variety of online sources. Some of these sources are listed on our Other Content Resources page.
Last updated on: Mar 29, 2013