Adding a Belly Band to a Structure
| Reference Number: KB-00070 Last Updated: 12-27-2013 09:08 AM
The information in this article applies to:
I want to create a belly band around a structure that I am designing. How can I do that?
Creating a belly band, sometimes referred to as a mid-section trim, is easy using the Make Room Molding Polyline edit tool.
To create a horizontal belly band
- Click the Select Objects button, then click just outside of an exterior wall to select the Exterior Room of the structure.
- When the Exterior Room is selected, its name appears on the left side of the Status Bar and the exterior of the structure is highlighted.
- If you select the wall or other object, click the Select Next Object edit button or press the Tab key on your keyboard until the exterior of the structure becomes highlighted.
- With the Exterior Room selected, click the Make Room Molding Polyline edit button. In the Make Room Molding Polyline dialog:
- Select Blank Molding from the drop-down list.
- Specify the desired Height of the belly band.
- Click OK to close the dialog and create a molding polyline around the structure's exterior. Note that the Molding Polyline is already selected for you.
- With the newly created Molding Polyline selected, click the Open Object edit button to open the Molding Polyline Specification dialog. On the Moldings panel:
- Click the Add New button to display the Select Library Object dialog.
- In the Select Library Object dialog, search or browse for a molding profile that best suits your needs, then click OK.
- In this example, a custom-made 2x12 belly band profile is used. To learn how to create a custom molding profile, see the Related Articles section at the bottom of this article.
- On the Moldings panel of the Molding Polyline Specification dialog:
- Specify the desired Height and Width. In this example, they are unchanged.
- Specify the Vertical Offset, which is how far above the default floor height of Floor 1 the molding polyline is located. In this example, the Vertical Offset is set at 96."
- Select either To Top or To Bottom, which is where the Vertical Offset is measured from. In this example To Bottom is used.
- Make sure that Extrude Inside Polyline is unchecked so the molding profile faces outward.
- Go the the Materials panel, click on the Molding component, and specify the material that you want for this molding.
- When you have finished, click OK to close the dialog and apply your changes.
- Create a 3D camera view to see the results.
- If your belly band molding goes through a door, or window, return to floor plan view.
- In floor plan, select the Molding, then use the Break Line edit tool to place a break on either side of the door, or window, opening.
- Select the segment and click on the Open Object edit tool to display the Molding Polyline Specification dialog again.
- On the General panel, check No Molding on Selected Edge and click OK.
- Repeat the process for any remaining openings that the belly band intersects.