Tracking the Amount of Time Spent on a Project
| Reference Number: KB-00678 Last Updated: 09-30-2013 02:14 PM
The information in this article applies to:
I would like an accurate method by which I can track the amount of time I dedicate to a particular project or assignment. How can I do this?
The Time Tracker utility enables you to accurately track the amount of time spent on a particular plan or layout file.
To start the Time Tracker, stop it, view the Time Tracker Log, and edit the log
- Open the plan in which you would like to track time spent and from the menu, select Tools> Time Tracker .
- Notice that the Start Time Logging option is not enabled. This is because Time Tracker automatically begins logging time the moment you open a new or existing file.
- If you prefer, this automatic start can be disabled on the Time Tracker panel of the Preferences dialog.
- To stop tracking the time spent on the current file, from the menu select Tools> Time Tracker> Stop Time Logging .
- To view or edit the amount of time recorded for this specific file, from the menu select Tools> Time Tracker> View Time Log .
- In the Time Log dialog, click on the Start Time of any entry to select that entry and then edit it below.
- Click in the Start field to change the start date or time of the selected entry.
- Click in the End field to change the end date or time.
- Type comments in the Notes field.
- Click on any entry's start time to apply your changes.
- Click the Add button to add a new entry below the currently selected entry.
- Click the Delete button to delete the currently selected entry.
- Click the Export button to export the information in the log into a .txt or .csv (comma separated values) file that can be opened by a word or spreadsheet program. This is particularly helpful if multiple plan and layout files are used for a single project. See the note below.
- Click the Print button to print the Time Tracker log.
Note: The Time Tracker utility logs the time spent working on individual files - not on an entire project. Most design projects include a layout file and at least one plan file, resulting in multiple time logs.
Use the Notes fields in your Time Log dialogs to keep a record of important actions such as the renaming of files or of time periods logged in more than one file.
Separate time logs can be exported into a spreadsheet program and combined into one document, as described above.