Creating a Breezeway
| Reference Number: KB-00056 Last Updated: 10-03-2013 08:21 AM
The information in this article applies to:
I need to create a breezeway in my design with columns and a roof. How can I do this in Chief Architect?
In this article, we will be designing a simple breezeway that runs from our house to our swimming pool area. The breezeway will be an open breezeway, with a roof and some exposed trusses. We will also be using columns to support the roof under the trusses.
Designing The Breezeway
- As with any other type of structure in Chief Architect, we will first need to define the room definition of our breezeway, so that the program will know to generate a roof over it, and that we will have control over the floor height.
- Now select the room you've just created and click the Open Object edit button.
- Under the Structure tab of the Room Specification dialog adjust your floor height to the desired height. In this example we will be using -14" to push our structure down to the ground.
- In this example, we will also be specifying the room type to be a Slab, however you can use any room type that generates the type of floor structure you are looking for.
- Remove the checkmark next to Ceiling Over This Room and click OK.
- Next, specify any gable walls that you need, then generate your roof by selecting Build> Roof> Build Roof .
Helpful Hint: You can learn how to generate all the different roof styles by visiting the Roof Styles tab of the Build Roof dialog.
- Open your Library Browser and search for 'Column'.
- In this example, we will be using some columns from the Chief Architect Bonus Catalog found under Chief Architect Bonus Catalogs> Columns and Pillars> Tree Columns
- Now, place your columns where you would like them.
- They can overlap the invisible walls without causing any problems.
- You may need to adjust the Height of the column to reach down to the lowered floor height.
- Select Build> Framing> Roof Truss and draw in your trusses under the roof line.
- Click 3D> Create Perspective View> Full Overview
In this view, you can use the Material Painter to apply the material you want to the trusses and columns.
If you don't see your Trusses be sure to check that the Framing, Trusses layer is turned on in your camera view layer set.
Your breezeway is now complete!