The information in this article applies to:
I have a .dwg drawing that was drawn at a scale of 1" = 20', and when imported into Chief Architect it is the wrong size. How can I change the scale so it displays at the correct size?
In Chief Architect, all architectural and CAD drawings in plan files are drawn at a one to one scale. A 24" x 24" cabinet really is 24" square, and a CAD line 8" long really is that length - regardless of how far you zoom in or out. To produce a scaled working drawing, the desired scale is specified when a view is sent to layout or printed.
Since drawings are not scaled in the Chief Architect drawing window, it is not possible to assign a scale to an imported drawing. If you have a .dxf or .dwg drawing that was not drawn at 1:1, it needs to be imported using a custom unit of measurement that takes the drawing's scale into account and converts it to a 1:1 drawing.
To create a custom unit of measurement
- Open the Chief Architect plan in which you would like to import a .dxf or .dwg drawing and select Edit> Preferences from the menu.
- On the Unit Conversions panel of the Preferences dialog:
- Click the Add button.
- In the Add Unit Conversion dialog:
- Type a short, descriptive name for your custom unit in the Unit Name field.
- Select a Measurement Type of length.
- In the Multiply by field, type the scaling factor that the drawing is using.
- In the to Convert to drop down list, change the unit of measurement to ft.
There are usually several ways to do a unit conversion. For example, a scale of 1" = 20' can be rescaled by multiplying by 20 and converting to feet. Or, it can be multiplied by 240 (12" x 20) and converted to inches.
- Click OK to close the dialog and add your custom unit to the Unit Conversions list.
- Click OK to close the Preferences dialog.
To import a .dxf or .dwg file using a custom unit of measurement
- Select CAD> CAD Detail Management from the menu and open a new CAD Detail window to import your drawing into.
- Select File> Import> Drawing from the menu.
- Follow the steps in the Import Drawing Wizard until you get to the Drawing Unit page.
- Click the Unit of Measurement drop down arrow and select the unit created in the previous steps from the list.
- Click the Next button and finish importing your drawing. When it is imported into Chief Architect, it will be drawn at a 1:1 scale.
Article Number 719: How to import terrain data from a dxf/dwg file