Creating a Curtain Wall
| Reference Number: KB-01810 Last Updated: 12-09-2014 08:31 AM
The information in this article applies to:
How can I create a commercial front with a curtain wall in Chief Architect?
A curtain wall is an exterior wall that encloses the space within but is not load-bearing. Often, the term "curtain wall" specifically refers to glass walls such as those found on store fronts. Curtain walls are typically used on commercial buildings; however, they also have residential applications - for example, sunrooms or indoor swimming pools.
This article will explain how to create a simple curtain wall with a commercial awning in Chief Architect. We will start out with a simple single story office which has a parapet roof.
To create the curtain wall
- First, we will set up our default settings by selecting Edit> Default Settings . Select Plan from the category list and click Edit.
Check the Ignore Casing for Opening Resize checkbox and click OK to return to the Default Settings dialog.
- Next, select Window and click Edit to display the Window Defaults.
Change the Minimum Separation value to 0", click OK, then Done on the Default Settings dialog.
- If you haven't already, draw a wall then place a window and modify it to your preference. Don't worry about the exact placement at this time.
For the purposes of this example, we will use the following specifications:
- Change the Window Type to Fixed Glass.
- Width of 60", Height of 107", and Floor to Top of 107".
- Both interior and exterior casings and sills suppressed.
- Once you have placed the window, go to 3D> Create Orthographic View> Cross Section/Elevation and create an elevation of the front of the building.
- Finally, select the first window and move it to butt against the left-most edge of the wall, then click Multiple Copy , Multiple Copy Interval , and set the General Objects Primary Offset to match the width of our windows, for this example: 60". Then, click and drag the window to the right, to create enough copies to span your wall.
In this example, our structure is roughly 60' long, so we will be creating a total of 10 windows, 5 on either side of the main door way.
To add an awning and other details
- Place a glass door, then select View> Library Browser and navigate to a commercial awning from the Chief Architect Bonus Catalog.
- Place the awning into position and that completes the curtain wall.