Upgrading to the Latest Version of Chief Architect
| Reference Number: KB-01974 Last Updated: 12-19-2014 09:42 AM
The information in this article applies to:
When I logged into my Digital Locker, I was given the option to upgrade to the newest version -- what do I need to know before clicking "Upgrade"?
Do I need to backup my old data before upgrading? If so, how?
When clicking on the UPGRADE TO CHIEF ARCHITECT PREMIER X7 button below your active Chief Architect download, you will be prompted with the following message:
"Thank you for upgrading!
Any older program versions present on your system will NOT be modified by installing Chief Architect Premier X7. However, this license of Chief Architect Premier X6 will be removed from your Digital Locker web page. You may want to make a backup of the Chief Architect Premier X6 installer and write down the product key for your records:
Continue with your upgrade?"
By clicking OK, your older version Chief Architect product key and download links will be removed and replaced with a new product key and download links for the new version of Chief Architect.
For your records, you may want to document the old Product Key displayed on this dialog, then click either OK to continue the upgrade process, or Cancel to avoid making any changes and return to the digital locker.
By choosing to upgrade, you are upgrading your license only, and not the software itself. Any current program installation(s), plan files, or any other local content will not be modified or removed by the upgrade. Each version of Chief Architect is an independent installation, and will install separately from any and all previous installations.
Before upgrading your license and download links, you may choose to save a copy of the previous program installer file, in the event you need to re-install it for any reason.
To make backups of previous installers
For Chief Architect X5 and prior versions, depending on your browser settings, you may be prompted to Open, Run or Save the downloader file. If prompted, choose Open or Run (options may differ depending on your browser) in order to run the downloader (.exe), which will in turn download the installer file (.msi).
- To do so, simply choose Cancel on the above pop-up if necessary, and click the download button for the installer you want to back up.
- For Chief Architect X6 and later software, this will download the installer file (.msi) on Windows or (.dmg) on a Mac.
- When saving the file, choose an easy to find location, such as your Desktop or Documents directory.
It is not necessary--nor advised--to save the downloader (.exe) file, as these programs are only functional for 14-days after they are downloaded, and are not a reliable means of obtaining the installer file after the upgrade has taken place.
- When the Downloader launches, you may want to change the download location. To do so, click the File button, and browse to a location on your computer where you want to save the installer file.
- By default, the downloader is set to run the installer upon completion of the download, if you wish to avoid this, click Options, then click to remove the checkmark next to Open This File When Done.
- Once the download is finished, the Downloader will close and the file will be saved in the location previously specified.