How to Create Stair Winders
| Reference Number: KB-00884 Last Updated: 09-30-2013 07:10 AM
The information in this article applies to:
I want to create a set of winder stairs. How do I do this?
Begin by drawing the stairs away from any walls to get unrestricted editing.
Winders must be in a room with valid room definition.
You cannot create winders in an area composed of only 2 corner walls. If this configuration is needed, enclose the area in with invisible walls so that a room area is defined.
- First, make sure that the correct editing behaviors and snap settings are used:
- Select Edit> Edit Behaviors from the menu and confirm that Edit Object Parts is not turned on. If you see a checkmark next to this menu item instead of its tool icon, it is enabled and you should select it to turn it off.
- Select Edit> Snap Settings from the menu and confirm that Object Snaps is enabled, indicated by a checkmark instead of the tool icon. If you see the tool icon instead of a checkmark, select this option to enable it.
- Select Build> Stairs> Straight Stairs , then click and drag to create a section of stairs with the number of treads leading up to the winder section, in this example 6 treads are used.
- Next, create a second set of stairs with the bottom of the first tread snapping to the top of the last tread of the section created in step 1.
- Draw the number of treads to be the Winder section.
In this example, 4 treads are used.
- Press the Space Bar to return to the Select Objects tool, click once on the winder section of stairs.
Notice a move handle in the middle of the upper stair section.
- Press and hold the Alt key while clicking and dragging the move handle from step 4 the direction you want the Winder.
This allows you to change the second straight segment into a curved one.
- Next, using the Straight Stair tool, attach a section of stairs to the end of the Winder where the stairs stop to finish the staircase.
You staircase should now look similar to the image above.
- Move the staircase into the corner you want it placed, and use the Open Object tool to open the Staircase Specification dialog box, then check the box for Winders.
- Click OK to apply the change, and the winders will now snap into the corner.