The information in this article applies to:
I am experiencing problems with generating 3D camera views in Chief Architect. Either an error message displays, the program crashes, or the view generates, but it doesn't look right.
How can I resolve these problems?
In a 3D intensive software program such as a Chief Architect product, you may encounter a variety of problems in your 3D camera views if your system is not up-to-date.
Generally, these issues can be resolved by simply updating the driver for your computer's video card to the latest available version which is compatible with your operating system. This can often be done for free on most video card manufacturer's websites.
For Mac users, the drivers for the hardware are part of the OS X operating system so it is important to make sure that your system is up-to-date.
Please bear in mind, though, that if you are running the software on an unsupported operating system for your version of the program, or if your video card does not meet our minimum system requirements, the suggestions in this article are unlikely to resolve the problem.
This article describes the basic steps for troubleshooting these issues to try and determine what the cause may be:
To determine what video card your system is using
- Open your copy of Chief Architect and select Edit> Preferences from the menu if you're on a Windows PC or Chief Architect> Preferences if you're on a Mac.
- Click on the Video Card Status panel of the Preferences dialog to see information regarding your video card.
Finding the latest drivers for your system
For PC Users:
It is recommended that you check your computer manufacturer's website for the latest drivers. If they do not provide the drivers they will have links to the appropriate manufacturer to download the drivers that are compatible with your system.
For more information visit the support page of your manufacturer's website.
For Mac Users:
Apple's operating system OS X comes pre-installed on your Mac and contains the drivers needed for your hardware.
To make sure that your hardware drivers are up-to-date you must make sure that your operating system is up-to-date by navigating to Apple> About This Mac and clicking on the Software Update button. .
Adjusting Render Preferences in Chief Architect
Below are a few settings you can change in Chief Architect to try and troubleshoot problems with your 3D views.
- First, exit out of any 3D camera views you may have open.
- Select Edit> Preferences from the menu if you're on a Windows PC or Chief Architect> Preferences if you're on a Mac.
- Under the Render panel, you can try one or more of the following:
- Set Hardware Edge Smoothing to None.
- Set Command Flushing to Frequently.
- Remove the checkmark next to Use Enhanced Lighting.
- Click OK and try creating a new 3D view.
Note: You will need to regenerate the camera view to see the changes after each modification to the render settings in Preferences.
If your video card meets the minimum system requirements for the software and following these instructions do not resolve the problem, please contact the Technical Support department directly either via telephone, or using the Online Support Center.
Be prepared to provide information on your computer manufacturer, operating system, as well as the video card including its make, model, driver version and date.