The information in this article applies to:
How can I create a PDF document to send to my print shop or client?
Portable Document Format, or .pdf files, are one of the most universally compatible and efficient file formats and can be viewed and printed on most computer platforms.
With Chief Architect X6, and newer versions, you can save any view as a 2D .pdf file by selecting Save as PDF as the Destination printer Name in either the Print View, or Print Image, dialog.
To print a PDF file in Chief Architect X6 and newer
- Click File> Print> Print to open the Print View dialog.
- In the Destination Name drop down, choose Chief Architect Save As PDF.
- Choose your desired print options and click the Save As PDF button located under the preview image.
- In the Choose PDF file name dialog, type in a short, descriptive name for the PDF and click Save.
While Chief Architect X5 and prior programs cannot inherently export to PDF files, you can quickly and easily configure your computer to print to PDF files by installing a PDF Printer driver and converter. There are many of these programs available, such as Adobe® Acrobat®, however searching online for PDF print drivers will provide results for a number of free PDF printer drivers.
For your convenience, Chief Architect has compiled a list of some of the more popular options available. To view this list, please see our Help Database article on PDF printer Drivers located in the Related Articles section located at the bottom of this article.
To print to a PDF file in Chief Architect X5 and prior
- In Chief Architect, open the file that you would like to print to PDF.
- Select File> Print> Page Setup .
- Click the Printer button in the top left corner of the Page Setup dialog box.
- Select your PDF print driver from the Printer Name drop down list and click OK.
For the purposes of this example, we are using the free CutePDF® Writer.
- In the Page Setup dialog, set the Printer Paper Size and Orientation as desired.
- Set the Drawing Sheet Size and Orientation to match the Printer Paper size and orientation.
- Click OK to close the dialog and apply your changes.
- Select File> Print> Print .
- Select your desired options for the print and the click the OK button.
Do NOT check Print to File.
- The Save As dialog appears on your screen.
- In the Save As dialog, choose the location on your computer where you want to save the PDF file and give it a File Name.
- Click Save.