June 15, 2016
The information in this article applies to:
I need to build a cupola, lantern, or steeple on top of the main roof of my structure. How can this be built?
The following instructions will show you how to create a square cupola with a hip roof as in the barn image above.
To create the cupola
Select Build> Floor> Build New Floor to open the New Floor dialog, select the radio button next to Make new (blank) plan for the 2nd Floor and then click OK.
To display a reference of the walls on the floor below, select Tools> Reference Floors> Reference Floor Display .
- Select Build> Wall> Straight Exterior Wall and then in clockwise order, draw the walls that define the cupola, creating completely enclosed room.
In our example, because there are two Full Gable walls set on the floor below and because the roof is set to automatically rebuild, there are automatically created attic walls to the left and right.
- For this example, the cupola will have a hip roof using the plan's default pitch, so no changes will be made on the Roof panel of the Wall Specification dialog.
- With the Select Objects tool active, click the center of the room to select it, and then click Open Object to open the Room Specification dialog.
- On the Room Type panel, select Open Below for the Room Type.
- On the Structure panel, change the Ceiling Height to the desired height for the cupola, and then click OK to apply these changes.
- Create a 3D camera view to confirm that the cupola is building to the correct height.
If the roof is not set to automatically rebuild, select Build> Roof> Build Roof , put a check next to Build Roof Planes, and then click OK to rebuild the roof.