October 28, 2019
The information in this article applies to:
How do I create a small room under a staircase?
Many plans use the space beneath staircases for storage or utility closets.
To create a room under a staircase
- Draw your staircase to your specifications. For more information on creating the different types of staircases available in Chief Architect, see this online training video:Stair Basics
In this example we will use an L-shaped staircase.
- Select Build> Wall> Straight Interior Wall from the menu.
- Draw the interior walls underneath the outer railing of the stair so that the surface of the wall aligns with the outer edge of the staircase as shown below.
Note: Be sure not to draw the end of your room past the second tread at the bottom of the staircase.
- Using the Select Objects tool, select the staircase and click the Open Object edit button.
- On the Style panel of the Interior Staircase Specification dialog that opens, check the box next to Open Underneath and uncheck the box next to Open Risers.
You can also set the Pattern Type to "None" on the "Fill Style" panel, if you want to be able to see under the staircase in floor plan view.
- Select Build> Door> Hinged Door from the menu, and click on one of the interior walls you just drew to place a door to your room.