July 16, 2021
The information in this article applies to:
How do I create mitered or wrap around stairs on a deck?
You can easily create wrap around or mitered stairs on a deck or other structure by simply dragging the stair edges to the corner where they should join.
To miter stairs
- Select Build> Railing and Deck> Straight Deck Railing and draw a rectangular deck on your structure.
- Select Build> Stairs> Draw Stairs or Straight Stairs .
- Click once on the outside edge of the deck railing that is parallel with the structure to place a set of stairs.
- Click again on the outside edge of the deck railing that is perpendicular to the structure to place another set of stairs.
- Using the Select Objects tool, click on the first stair section that was placed.
- Place the cursor over the Resize edit handle closest to the corner of the deck, then left-click and drag to extend the width of the stair section.
- Repeat the process on the other stair section.
- Once both stairs sections are within 6 inches of the corner, the program will automatically wrap the stairs around the corner.
- If you are experiencing trouble making the stairs wrap, first check to ensure that the Allow Wrap setting is enabled on the Style panel of the Staircase Specification dialog.
- Stair sections that wrap around a corner to meet one another must have similar attributes.
- Curved stairs and stairs with multiple subsections cannot be wrapped.
This process works for any angle you may have on your deck, to allow for a wide array of unique designs to fit any need.
- You can also apply this method to the outside or inside corners of decks, interior rooms with railings, and even stair landings.